Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Mac Contacts

On the newer of my iMacs, if I select a contact's email address, there is a envelope icon to the right.

If I click on this it opens up a new Tab with Google Mail. I don't use Google mail and wish to disassociate myself as much as possible from Google.

On the older machine, following the same procedure, I get a slightly different envelope icon which takes me to a new email with that address. All as it should be.

How do I ditch this new Google intrusion?

David

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 11:51 AM

Hello David,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

We are more than happy to lend a hand with helping you set up your mail preference on the Mac. 

Take a look at Change the default web browser or email app on your Mac and make sure your default account is what you prefer.

If you still need help just reach back out to us.

Take care!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2021 11:51 AM in response to greenwellington

Hello David,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

We are more than happy to lend a hand with helping you set up your mail preference on the Mac. 

Take a look at Change the default web browser or email app on your Mac and make sure your default account is what you prefer.

If you still need help just reach back out to us.

Take care!

Jul 25, 2021 8:27 AM in response to mario49

Well a 30 min chat session got me nowhere and I was told this is what I should expect.

However, your response gave me the answer!

I use 'Opera' as the default browser (but using 'Brave' for more secure matters), but what I had not realised is that when Opera was installed it must have altered the default email reader also to Opera! I certainly not intentionally done this!

This had no effect on my day to day sending and receiving of mail using Mac Mail, but obviously did affect the way in which an email was initiated from Contacts.

I replaced "Opera" with "Mail App" on "Default email reader" and now when I make a selection of a contact in 'Contacts', it opens up an email with that email address, rather than taking me to the Opera browser and Google Mail

Thank you very much indeed for taking me to a solution.

I had no idea that the installation of a new browser could result in a change to the default email reader.

Once again, thank you very much indeed.

Stay safe

Problem with Mac Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.