Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to hook up mac mini (A1347) to Apple cinema display (A1316)

First question is, when plugged in should the display light up at all? It’s not showing any indication it’s on.

There are two cords coming out the display, one with two heads so three connectors. One goes into the wall for power. One is a thunderbolt, the last is an ac adaptor for a laptop. At the back of my Mac mini I plugged the thunderbolt into the mini display because it looks exactly like the correct plug. I did this instinctively and only realized later that they aren’t labeled the same.

I will attempt to upload photos of the back of my Mac and display and cords for clearer/direct explanation. They are only uploading upside down. Best I can do!

I did search the community here but didn’t get a understanding of what I need.

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 6:42 PM

It happened I still have my 2010 Mac Mini (like yours) and, curiously, I tried the same setup with one of my Thunderbolt Display.

The screen will not work.

According to Apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp642?locale=en_US

Thunderbolt Display would only work with Thunderbolt equipped devices, such as 2011 Mac Mini and after.

I love my Thunderbolt Displays, although less optimal webcam, 2560x1440 resolution - it serves well for documents and web surfing etc. I also swap Thunderbolt Display's cable in between M1 MacBook Air and M1 Mac Mini (with TB 3 -> TB2 adapter) when needed.

My suggestion - maybe time to upgrade to newer system if you want to use the display.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 6:42 PM in response to miss808

It happened I still have my 2010 Mac Mini (like yours) and, curiously, I tried the same setup with one of my Thunderbolt Display.

The screen will not work.

According to Apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp642?locale=en_US

Thunderbolt Display would only work with Thunderbolt equipped devices, such as 2011 Mac Mini and after.

I love my Thunderbolt Displays, although less optimal webcam, 2560x1440 resolution - it serves well for documents and web surfing etc. I also swap Thunderbolt Display's cable in between M1 MacBook Air and M1 Mac Mini (with TB 3 -> TB2 adapter) when needed.

My suggestion - maybe time to upgrade to newer system if you want to use the display.

How to hook up mac mini (A1347) to Apple cinema display (A1316)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.