Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening a folder sorts by name descending by default - how to fix

I have a MacBook Pro with Big Sur version 11.5. My finder view options is set to sort by name. Every time I open a folder, it sorts by name descending A-Z. How do I get it to sort by name A-Z? I have tried reordering the sort with the arrow symbol at the top and it will always resort to A-Z. But the next folder I open is back to sorting Z-A. It's driving me nuts because I have to stop my work with every folder opened to reorder the sort.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 8:49 AM

masqthephlsphr wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro with Big Sur version 11.5. My finder view options is set to sort by name. Every time I open a folder, it sorts by name descending A-Z. How do I get it to sort by name A-Z? I have tried reordering the sort with the arrow symbol at the top and it will always resort to A-Z. But the next folder I open is back to sorting Z-A. It's driving me nuts because I have to stop my work with every folder opened to reorder the sort.

These types of details don't necessarily always stick...

You can try delete the com.apple.finder.plist

Found here Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Relaunch your Finder from the >Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

if no resolve you can submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

or

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2021 8:49 AM in response to masqthephlsphr

masqthephlsphr wrote:

These types of details don't necessarily always stick...

You can try delete the com.apple.finder.plist

Found here Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Relaunch your Finder from the >Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

if no resolve you can submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

or

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Jul 24, 2021 11:57 AM in response to masqthephlsphr

masqthephlsphr wrote:

Just a note to anyone who is going to try this-this will also removed some finder defaults you have, such as what you want to hide/show in the finder window, and what columns you want to see as a default, so you may need to put those back.

Yes, deleting the preference list (plist) is just that, deletes all associated Preference and yes you need to re-establish your preferences as you see fit. Nothing new here.

Opening a folder sorts by name descending by default - how to fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.