Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder windows not sorting files and folders in the same Finder window by name

On a 16‑inch MacBook Pro, finder will not sort files and

folders in the same Finder window by name. This started when Big Sur 11.4

update was installed. The Group By can be set to Name or None and Sort By: set

to Name, and all folders are listed at the top of the window above all of the files.

Again this started after Big Sur 11.4 update was installed without me changing any

of the finder settings.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 8:20 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 27, 2021 8:25 AM in response to macminiman21

Don't use optimizers from Macpaw or Zeobit like MacKeeper, Advanced Mac Cleaner, or anything with Cleaner in the name. The Finder background settings that hold information about directory layout are held in DS_Store files that are only visible when you make files that are normally invisible, visible, or copy folders to a PC readable flash drive.

https://www.devontechnologies.com/apps/freeware EasyFind

can help you see if you loaded anything by these two developers.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002463 Etrecheck can tell you if anything is running in the background that shouldn't, and one of the people on this board can help you determine if from its report if you need to remove anything.

Jun 30, 2021 7:09 AM in response to macminiman21

I have the same problem on an iMac 2020. I don't have any "cleaner" apps. I also tried Barney-15E toggling, which did not work.

I prefer to use column view which has always worked fine in the past. Instead of sorting ALL files alphabetically it's sorting them by "kind" alphabetically even when I choose to have them grouped by "name" and not by "kind". See screen shot.

Finder windows not sorting files and folders in the same Finder window by name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.