Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD to Replace original HDD in 27" iMac mid 2011 (12,2) model?

So there is a lot of contradictory advice on Fan control issues when doing this upgrade. OWC tells me I do need their "sensor cable" for $50+ Canadian. Others say you can jumper it or short the cable...etc.

Still, others say you can (better) control Fan speed with an App. (TG Pro or Macs Fan Control).

The last thing I'm reading here is "there is no issue" when upgrading the HDD to an SSD in this model iMac (ie: 2011).

Can someone technical and "in the know" please clarify for me?

At this point, I have ordered the SSD (Samsung 870 EVO) and the OWC Sensor cable because OWC says I still need it for this SSD upgrade. I have already installed a previous 500GB SSD (Samsung 850EVO 500GB) in the iMac (using the OWC video) a few yrs. ago. At that time I purchased the Installation Kit from you which came with new cables to add the 2nd drive. My question is do I still need these newer sensor cables and sensor for the current, original drive replacement?

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 2:14 PM

I recently replaced my dead internal HD with an SSD. I had been running my 2013 iMac via an external SSD. I sourced all the tools, SSD, temp sensor kit, adhesive kit, Adapt-a-tray and tools from CanadaRam. They are a reseller for OWC parts. I then followed the OWC videos to replace the drive. After replacing the drive, I copied from my external SSD to the newly installed internal. The entire process was wonderfully painless.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2021 2:14 PM in response to GaryReginald

I recently replaced my dead internal HD with an SSD. I had been running my 2013 iMac via an external SSD. I sourced all the tools, SSD, temp sensor kit, adhesive kit, Adapt-a-tray and tools from CanadaRam. They are a reseller for OWC parts. I then followed the OWC videos to replace the drive. After replacing the drive, I copied from my external SSD to the newly installed internal. The entire process was wonderfully painless.

Jul 24, 2021 1:57 PM in response to GaryReginald

Can you clarify further --

"I have already installed a previous 500GB SSD (Samsung 850EVO 500GB) in the iMac (using the OWC video) a few yrs. ago."

-- did you indicate you have already installed 850EVO in this iMac? Where did you install it? The optical drive spot? or somewhere else?

I would suggest NOT to spend much money on 2011 machines though...

However, from my previous doodling experience -- I much prefer in-line senor adapter for 2011 iMac. Just plug in and forget about it. The in-line sensor adapter is needed for the HDD's SATA connection. That is extra cost for this DIY project.

Software hack (fan control) is another method (no cost) -- you have to ask yourself: do you want to spend the extra? or software route, or divert it all the cost and invest in newer system?

Jul 24, 2021 2:05 PM in response to GaryReginald

You only need the temperature sensor adapter when replacing and installing the SSD into the main drive bay of the iMac. If you are replacing the optical drive with an SSD, then use the OWC adapter for mounting & connecting an SSD into the optical drive bay. You will have everything you need either way if you follow OWC's instructions and guidelines.

OWC are the experts on iMac upgrades. They have take the time to research and develop the necessary extra parts to make the iMac run properly with a non-Apple drive installed. I'm not aware of any other vendor who has more thoroughly investigated and tested the Mac upgrade options they sell. Plus OWC provides excellent tech support.

Jul 24, 2021 5:11 PM in response to samtenor

So I ordered the iMac upgrade kit from OWC in 2017-08 and added a 500 GB Samsung 850EVO internal SSD as a second drive. That install went flawlessly. I also added some memory at that time to boost me to 12 GB. Now that my hard drive has quit (I believe due to the heat from running GarageBand and FinalCut Pro, etc.) I hope to be able to recover my data, mostly my large Picture Library from my time capsule, that was stored on the original 1TB HDD.

PS I now have the "Mac Fans Control" (free) App! Bonus.

Jul 24, 2021 5:52 PM in response to GaryReginald

If your hard drive is failing, then contact a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack to see if they can recover any data if you don't have a backup. Both vendors provide free estimates and both are recommended by Apple.

Normal utilities (even data recovery apps) are not able to recover data from a failing hard drive because macOS and those apps are unable to handle all of the errors produced by a failing hard drive. The more you attempt to access a failing hard drive (or even leave a failing hard drive powered on) the worse the drive failure becomes where even a professional data recovery service will be unable to recover any data from the drive.

You usually only get one chance to recover data from a failing hard drive so make sure to choose wisely.

You should always have frequent and regular backups.

SSD to Replace original HDD in 27" iMac mid 2011 (12,2) model?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.