You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.7 Photo Folders using File Explorer Windows 10

Prior to updating to iOS 14.7, I noticed the folders in DCIM when I connect my iphone to Windows PC were sorted into individual folders in year_month format (eg. 2021_01, 2021_02). I really loved it. I thought FINALLY! No more 118APPLE, 119APPLE, 120APPLE etc. It was such a headache for drag & drop person like me. However, after updating to iOS 14.7, it reverted to the previous format. Is there a way to view it by date? And not the folders dated 1 Jan 1970??

iPhone 11

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 6:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 1:30 PM

Yeah, Except iCloud just doesn't compare in the slightest to pulling the pictures off the device itself. There have been to many times where my pictures refuse to sync. I want my folder structure back the way it was.

7 replies

Aug 22, 2021 4:59 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

That's a real Richard of an answer and doesn't help in any way, shape or form. iCloud uses too much data and on my bunky old laptop it consumes way too much of the PC's resources and as I'm assuming plenty of people take photos and then need to individually download them to a work computer to pull specific files, I do it almost every single day and post 14.7.1 its an effing debacle trying to find the files I need. If you're not an Apple employee maybe try to avoid lecturing people in the forum.

Sep 9, 2021 8:02 PM in response to kamote0628

I'm sorry but this is a general absurd reply, you did not get to the point and give a sufficient answer, Apple made a good change which we call in manufacturing a "KAIZEN" and then got removed in the next update with no reason, I'm not sure why you do that and why we are unable to revesrese the update 14.7 or any other update, even if the user is not willing to update the iOS the pop up messages become very frustrating and annoying makes user eventually to give up and perform the updates!

This meassage is on behalf of millions of iPhone users who made you billionairs! ...show some respect.

Thanks

Jul 25, 2021 12:27 PM in response to garnet_dagger

Apple did not design the folder structure for your convenience, they structured it for the most efficient management of the photo database in the phone, because they don’t expect users to ever even look at it. Instead they provide several easy ways to transfer photos from the phone to a computer or other services. These ways are described here→Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

By far the easiest way is to enable iCloud Photos: Go to Settings/[your name]/icloud - Photos ON. This will transfer the existing photos to your iCloud account, then going forward in real time as they are taken meaning that you will never lose a photo should disaster strike. Once in iCloud you have options:

• Log in to https://icloud.com/photos, where you can view them or download them to your computer
  • Enable iCloud Photos in your Mac System Preferences, and they will automatically sync to the Photos app on your Mac
  • Install iCloud for Windows, where you can view your photos on your PC and optionally transfer them to local storage on your computer.

Enabling iCloud photos also offers the option of saving smaller, lower resolution images on your phone to save space while still preserving the full resolution photos in iCloud. Just go to Settings/Photos - Optimize iPhone Storage to enable this feature.

Jul 25, 2021 12:26 PM in response to garnet_dagger

Hi garnet_dagger, We appreciate you reaching out to us. We understand that the DCIM folders have changed after updating to iOS 14.7. We strive to bring the best personal computing experience to customers around the world through our innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings. 

We welcome your feedback on our products here: Product Feedback - Apple

Take care!

iOS 14.7 Photo Folders using File Explorer Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.