Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID Password for App Updates with Family Sharing Enabled.

Why is it that on my daughter’s iPad, she needs my password to update an App that I already approved and purchased for her? We are sharing our purchases so why does it need my Apple ID? I get that she is legally not old enough to buy her apps, but I also believe that there should be an easier way to do this and that there needs to be one. It’s just an app update. I shouldn’t have to type in my password for my Apple ID and then receive a verification code just to update an app. This becomes even more of a problem when she and I are not together. Apple, for simplicity’s sake please fix this.

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 9:29 AM

With family sharing everything she downloads is downloaded through the Apple ID signed into the app store. If the iPhone is asking for your Apple ID and password, that particular app was downloaded with your Apple ID. Make sure that her Apple ID is signed into the app store in settings. If it is, remove the app and redownload it. That makes sure it's download with her info and not yours.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2021 9:29 AM in response to WelbyD

With family sharing everything she downloads is downloaded through the Apple ID signed into the app store. If the iPhone is asking for your Apple ID and password, that particular app was downloaded with your Apple ID. Make sure that her Apple ID is signed into the app store in settings. If it is, remove the app and redownload it. That makes sure it's download with her info and not yours.

Jul 25, 2021 11:33 AM in response to WelbyD

Have you checked Settings/Screen Time for any restrictions on app updates?

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner. Pick the closest topic you can find.

Click here to send Feedback  

Jul 25, 2021 12:16 PM in response to Eric Root

I’ve done just about everything single thing that I can think of when it comes to this issue that I am having. I’ve check all the settings. I don’t see an option for updates. It’s as if it does not exist. I haven’t tried the submit feedback option for Apple and so I can do that. I wouldn’t be surprised if I don’t get a reply. Thats just how this world is as of lately. Lack of accountability when an issue has been spotted yet no one wants to be held accountable for it. Very typical of this world.

Apple ID Password for App Updates with Family Sharing Enabled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.