Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset a child's password in Family Sharing?

I've looked everywhere and there doesn't seem to be any place for a Family Organizer to change the password for a child (under 13) on the child's icloud account. Is there no way to do this?

I submitted for a password reset, but no email came to my (the Organizer) email address. Instead, the reset email is apparently is being sent to the CHILD'S email address? This is, of course, absurd in the extreme, if it is the case. Equally as absurd, is that if there is a way to simply reset through the Organizer's account, that a 10 year user of all Apple products couldn't figure it out.

Question 1: Can password management of child accounts really be this horrible? Or am I missing something?

Question 2: If there is no access to the child's email account, is the only way to reset to use the days-long reset process?

Thanks!

iPhone SE

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 1:54 PM

Thanks, Limnos for paying attention. Password management is absolutely awful in an otherwise easy to use ecosystem. I'm waiting now at least until tomorrow for the multi-day process. Thank goodness it's a kid's account and not my own. Really bad job on this Apple.

Logged in as an Organizer, a user should be able to reset this inside of iCloud settings - I can for the Organizer account but not for a child account?! A ridiculous fault.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2021 1:54 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks, Limnos for paying attention. Password management is absolutely awful in an otherwise easy to use ecosystem. I'm waiting now at least until tomorrow for the multi-day process. Thank goodness it's a kid's account and not my own. Really bad job on this Apple.

Logged in as an Organizer, a user should be able to reset this inside of iCloud settings - I can for the Organizer account but not for a child account?! A ridiculous fault.

Jul 25, 2021 1:12 PM in response to Limnos

This sounds great, but it is not the case. There is no option to use an Organizer's email as a rescue email. In fact, there was no way I could find to even use security questions.

And, we have 2 factor set up, we couldn't even submit the reset (that evidently went to the child's email) without entering the code from a second device (my phone).

So this sounds great, but it is not reality.

The reality is that you either must have access to the child's email account, which in that case we wouldn't need to reset the password in the first place, or you have to use the multi-day reset process.

Still not sure what I'm missing here....

How to reset a child's password in Family Sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.