Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.5

Running Big Sur 11.5- My sound won't show consistently and now not at all in the menu bar although i set preferences to do so always

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 9:29 AM

Hi there dmc714,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having some difficulties getting your sound settings to show in the menu bar and we'd be happy to help assist. Can you tell us if you started to notice this after updating your macOS or was this happening previously? We'd first recommend to try to uncheck the option for your sound volume bar to show in System Preferences and then reselect the option.

It also may help to perform an NVRAM reset on your device as this is where the Mac sound settings are stored. You can read more about this and find the steps to complete this process at the link below.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac 

There has also been another macOS update release for Big Sur version 11.5.1. If you have not already, it may be helpful to start this update so your Mac is fully up to date with the latest software version. The steps for that process are included in the article below, if needed.

How to update the software on your Mac 

We hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2021 9:29 AM in response to dmc714

Hi there dmc714,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having some difficulties getting your sound settings to show in the menu bar and we'd be happy to help assist. Can you tell us if you started to notice this after updating your macOS or was this happening previously? We'd first recommend to try to uncheck the option for your sound volume bar to show in System Preferences and then reselect the option.

It also may help to perform an NVRAM reset on your device as this is where the Mac sound settings are stored. You can read more about this and find the steps to complete this process at the link below.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac 

There has also been another macOS update release for Big Sur version 11.5.1. If you have not already, it may be helpful to start this update so your Mac is fully up to date with the latest software version. The steps for that process are included in the article below, if needed.

How to update the software on your Mac 

We hope this helps.

Jul 27, 2021 11:58 AM in response to Leanne_68

HI. Thank you for your suggestions. I believe the problem did start after I updated to BigSur 11.5 but I am not sure if I always had that preference in the menu bar. Either way, I did not reset the PRAM OR NVRAM, I just installed the 11.5.1 update and now all seems fine. I had not expected to see an update so soon as I had just installed the 11.5 a few days ago. Thank you for your response. It really helped.

Big Sur 11.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.