Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music data usage

Hi, for 3month now Apple Music started to use way more data than before… I tracked its usage and for an hour it’s around 1GB used. I do not download music on mobile data only wifi and I selected the efficiency quality for data usage of this app. Does anyone now how to further reduce the quality ? I don’t want to upgrade my data plan only for the sake of Apple Music……

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 12:28 PM

You should make sure the songs you are listening to are downloaded onto your device, you should do this when connected to WiFI. This will help prevent the use of mobile data to listen to songs.

You mention Apple Music has used over 1GB of data, where are you seeing this information and are you sure this is just over a one-hour time period? Apple Music shouldn't have used this amount of data in just a one hour time period if you have not downloaded songs over mobile data.

Add and download music from Apple Music – Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2021 12:28 PM in response to dimitri294

You should make sure the songs you are listening to are downloaded onto your device, you should do this when connected to WiFI. This will help prevent the use of mobile data to listen to songs.

You mention Apple Music has used over 1GB of data, where are you seeing this information and are you sure this is just over a one-hour time period? Apple Music shouldn't have used this amount of data in just a one hour time period if you have not downloaded songs over mobile data.

Add and download music from Apple Music – Apple Support

Jul 26, 2021 1:40 PM in response to Ijustwanttolookattheforums

I now download over wifi to save data but that prevents listening to something new or a radio. I know it used that much data over an hour because I went specifically on a walk for two hours listening only to music on my phone. The first hour with the data usage and the second with downloaded music. and I check each time the data usage before and after with a specific app and with my data provider. So I’m definitely 1000% sure that is Apple Music that used that specific data. I kind of became a detective only to try to understand why my data went missing that fast for the last 3 months

Aug 6, 2021 6:43 AM in response to dimitri294

That's the problem. Apple needs to fix it. There is no fix on our end. The only fix right now is to download the music you want to hear on the go while your on wifi and to make sure you turn off cellular data for Apple Music in the Cellular Data section of the seetings app. If you don't turn off cellular data for Apple Music, it may still use data even if the songs are downloaded on to your device.

Aug 7, 2021 6:49 AM in response to dimitri294

I have had this same issue for the last 3 months.

I ran a quick test this morning and this is what I found

iPhone 11 Running iOS 14.7.1

My Apple Music settings are:

Cellular Data - On

Cellular Streaming - High Efficiency

Lossless Audio - Off

Dolby Atmos - Automatic

Download over Cellular - Off

Download in Dolby Atmos - On

Atomatic Download - On

Animated Cover Art - Wi-Fi Only

I reset my Cellular data statistic then disabled Wi-Fi and listened to 5 songs over the course of 12 minutes. I listened to each song for 2-3 minutes before skipping to the next song. After I checked the cellular data usage and Apple Music used 104 MB of data. That’s just over 20 MB of data per song or just over 8.5 MB of data per minute. I’m not sure if that’s normal but it sounds pretty high to me.

Sep 6, 2021 6:23 AM in response to dimitri294

I’m having same problem last week my data usage for one week jumped to 1.6GB, same I use in 4 months. I reset my data and found it to be Apple Music, consumed 1.9GB over the next 3 days, I haven’t even listened to anything. On WiFi it’s merrily eating it’s way thorough my battery. Have had to stop Music from from using Mobile data and disable WiFi to get my battery to last more than a few hours. What on Earth is it doing that requires that much data?

Apple Music data usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.