Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move itunes library to new pc and retain play counts etc

It appears that you can move your library from one pc to another which only moves your library. Basically it is like moving your records \ CD’s to another room. The play counts, date added to library, ratings or any other personalised information about the song are not included in the .itl file. Is there a 3rd party software which can perform this task as itunes cannot?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 3:04 PM

OMG…It was to do with the .itl file and locations. On my old pc the library was located in a program directory rather than user / etc and the .itl file here was corrupt and there was another located in the user / itunes media folder. Once I copied this together with the music folder onto the new pc under user / itunes/itunes media everything worked as it should. I now hav all playlists, all counts, date added is correct etc.. etc.

Thank you Apple Community.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2021 3:04 PM in response to Limnos

OMG…It was to do with the .itl file and locations. On my old pc the library was located in a program directory rather than user / etc and the .itl file here was corrupt and there was another located in the user / itunes media folder. Once I copied this together with the music folder onto the new pc under user / itunes/itunes media everything worked as it should. I now hav all playlists, all counts, date added is correct etc.. etc.

Thank you Apple Community.

Jul 27, 2021 7:02 AM in response to WM-63

Read the document to which I posted a link. It explains in detail about moving libraries. You may also find this one useful: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7392 It's the .itl file that has the extra metadata such as play count. You must move the entire library correctly so it is starting up from the same library file you had on the old computer and the directory structure is the same. Right now it sounds to me like you are moving the media files but somehow not starting from the .itl.

Move itunes library to new pc and retain play counts etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.