Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find all photos in a time zone

I am scanning/importing family paper photos, so there is no camera information. I live in California, so the time zone of the imported photos is defaulting to Los Angeles. But the photos were actually taken in Wisconsin. I did not notice this before doing the import. Searching for "location" doesn't work - this only shows the pix I tagged with an L.A. location. How can I search for all photos with a specific time zone?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 11:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 6:22 AM

Cindyjk wrote:

How do you "tag my photos with GPS before importing them"?

I am using Houdah Geo to assign locations to my photos, that have no GPS tags. And if the photos have been scanned from slides or prints, I use HoudaGeo to assign the dates and times as well. This way the imported originals are already having essential metadata.

You can only find the photos that need the time zone fixed IF YOU KNOW THE DATE THEY WERE IMPORTED!.

If you did not fix the date and times directly after importing the photos, you could search for scanned photos with a smart album, to find all your scans in one place: For example, to find the photos scanned recently with my slide scanner I could use this smart album:

The album could be refined by adding a rule "date imported is in the last ... Days" or similar.

Personally, I do worry so much about the timezone for scanned photos, as long as the photos are sorted correctly according to the date and time. I have set the clocks of all cameras to record the time in UTC, as this makes it easier to handle the timezones of multiple cameras on long distance trips, when we are crossing the border between timezones several times a day, It is simply not feasible to change the clock in all cameras, as soon as we cross the border. The border may not even be marked.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2021 6:22 AM in response to Cindyjk

Cindyjk wrote:

How do you "tag my photos with GPS before importing them"?

I am using Houdah Geo to assign locations to my photos, that have no GPS tags. And if the photos have been scanned from slides or prints, I use HoudaGeo to assign the dates and times as well. This way the imported originals are already having essential metadata.

You can only find the photos that need the time zone fixed IF YOU KNOW THE DATE THEY WERE IMPORTED!.

If you did not fix the date and times directly after importing the photos, you could search for scanned photos with a smart album, to find all your scans in one place: For example, to find the photos scanned recently with my slide scanner I could use this smart album:

The album could be refined by adding a rule "date imported is in the last ... Days" or similar.

Personally, I do worry so much about the timezone for scanned photos, as long as the photos are sorted correctly according to the date and time. I have set the clocks of all cameras to record the time in UTC, as this makes it easier to handle the timezones of multiple cameras on long distance trips, when we are crossing the border between timezones several times a day, It is simply not feasible to change the clock in all cameras, as soon as we cross the border. The border may not even be marked.

Jul 27, 2021 2:09 AM in response to Cindyjk

Photos does not have a tool to find photos with a certain timezone. You should find the imported photos that need the timezone fixing together in the Imports album or in a smart album based on the "date added".

When you import scans without a GPS location, Photos will usually use the timezone of the system time to guess the timezone to use for an imported photo. I am tagging my photos with GPS before importing them, if they are not having GPS assigned by the camera.

You can see the timezone assigned to a photo in the "Image > Adjust Date and Time" dialog, at the bottom of the panel, where it is showing "Closest city". There you can correct the timezone.

I have changed the System Preferences to display the timezone with ny date and time, then I can see the timezone in Photos Info as well. The procedure is described here: How to display the Date and Time Zone in … - Apple Community

Jul 31, 2021 9:05 PM in response to léonie

Hi, Leonie: I would find it very helpful to display the time zone in the info box, as you suggest. I'm running Big Sur, however, and the link you posted said how to do it in Catalina. I fumbled around, and found the "Times" tab in the "Advanced" area of Language and Region settings in SystPref. I would like to display hour:mins (no seconds), AM/PM, and the time zone. So, I added the time zone element to the "Short" time format. But how do I tell Photos to use the short form, instead of the medium format?

Thank you for your help.

Find all photos in a time zone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.