Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Udemy Black Screen Video but Audio working

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252574971

I am having the same issues as the above thread.

I am using a 2019 MBP running OS 11.5

Safari v 14.1.2

I've taken courses on Udemy for years. I was taking a course early this month just fine then suddenly the courses stopped playing video while the audio played just fine. I can roll over the progress bar and see pop ups of what the video should be at that point.

I don't use plugins except 1 Password, which I've disabled. I've tried clearing cache, using a private window.

Everything runs in Firefox. It also runs fine in Safari for iPad OS v 14.7.1.

I also can verify that this behavior is now present on courses that I took successfully in the past where there was no issue with video playback.

Video playback for other courses on other platforms like LinkedIn work just fine in Safari.

Anyone else having similar issues or have suggestions how to reclaim Udemy on Safari? Udemy keeps pushing Chrome, which isn't an option for me and is not a solution to the issue but a work around.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 4:50 PM

It's definitely an sidecar issue as pedromvba points out. When I disconnect my iPad from sidecar the video in Udemy works fine. THIS ALSO AFFECTS Apple TV APP. I can't watch Ted Lasso (or any video from the TV app or music videos from the Music app) on my laptop if sidecar is enabled. I refuse to have the memory of a goldfish about that.

It is 100% reproducible if sidecar is enabled.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2021 4:50 PM in response to ColleenD1

It's definitely an sidecar issue as pedromvba points out. When I disconnect my iPad from sidecar the video in Udemy works fine. THIS ALSO AFFECTS Apple TV APP. I can't watch Ted Lasso (or any video from the TV app or music videos from the Music app) on my laptop if sidecar is enabled. I refuse to have the memory of a goldfish about that.

It is 100% reproducible if sidecar is enabled.

Jul 28, 2021 6:37 AM in response to Will Nielsen

Hi Will Nielsen,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with videos playing on your Mac in Safari. We'd like to help.

Do you have any other issues with video playback in Safari? Knowing if other websites do the same thing can help us start to isolate this issue.

These steps can also help get it resolved:

If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

One thing we notice from what you've told us is that there is an update available to your macOS. Updating that can be beneficial as well: Update macOS on Mac

Let us know how that goes and we'll continue from there.

Take care!

Aug 30, 2021 6:11 AM in response to Will Nielsen

I experience the same issue.

MBP Big Sur 11.5.2 (20G95)

Safari Version 14.1.2 (16611.3.10.1.6)

Everything worked last week. Nothing installed, deleted.

All of a sudden this morning when I try continuing session I only get a black video screen, preview is showing find, audio ok.

Very strange: When I jump to the beginning of the section video is playing ok (Section 4, Step 1) , jumping to the end ok (Section 4, Step 35), but steps inside the section black video (stoped first for Section 4, Step 13) . Independent if I try viewed (Section 4, Step 2-13) or none viewed (Section 4, Step 14-34). All on Safari.

I've cleared Safari cache for Udemy pages. Restarted Safari and MBP without any change.

When I use Chrome, everything is OK.

Udemy Black Screen Video but Audio working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.