Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No audio on my Philips monitor 279P1 connected to Mac Mini via USB-C

I have my Philips Brilliance monitor 279P1 connected to my Mac Mini (M1) using a USB-C cable. The monitor has two 3W speakers. When I try to play any audio - podcast; youtube; music - I hear nothing. I have checked that the monitor audio is not muted and everything is set correctly.

So my question is, does the USB-C cable connection carry audio as well as video and data? If so, why am I not able to hear anything?

I should mention that in the audio setting it lists my output device as a DisplayPort type. Shouldn't that be USB-C instead?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 7:08 AM

Does the audio work if you select DisplayPort?

Have you tried a different USB-C cable?

Other connection options with that display include,

HDMI to HDMI which supports 4K and audio.

USB-C to DisplayPort which supports audio.

FWIW some folks with LG and HP displays have had to use a dual cable setup.

HDMI or USB-C to DisplayPort for video and audio plus USB-C for USB docking.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2021 7:08 AM in response to banacan

Does the audio work if you select DisplayPort?

Have you tried a different USB-C cable?

Other connection options with that display include,

HDMI to HDMI which supports 4K and audio.

USB-C to DisplayPort which supports audio.

FWIW some folks with LG and HP displays have had to use a dual cable setup.

HDMI or USB-C to DisplayPort for video and audio plus USB-C for USB docking.

Jul 28, 2021 7:37 AM in response to banacan

Connect the USB C of the monitor to USB A on the mini (with suitable adapter or a USB C to USB A cable) and use HDMI for video. Most monitors with USB-C power delivery can’t tell the difference between a desktop and a laptop, and if it’s a mini, end up with strange results. Therefore, avoid the single do-it-all USB C solution with the mini. It’s an overrated feature anyway, nuthin’ is better than dedicated video, nuthin.

Jul 28, 2021 7:46 AM in response to banacan

Thanks for the reply.

When you say "Does the ... select DisplayPort" what do you mean? In Sound settings it lists the sound input as PHL 279P1 as DisplayPort type. Is that what you mean, if so, that's already selected.

I have not tried another USB-C cable. I would need to purchase another one to try.

use a dual cable setup

Interestingly, I originally had my monitor connected HDMI to HDMI and USB-C to USB-C for the hub. It caused lots of display problems because it viewed the USB-C connection as a second monitor. Once I removed the HDMI cable it saw the USB-C connection as a single monitor, but I also apparently lost my audio.

So are you suggesting that I connect from the Mac Mini HDMI to the Philips DisplayPort, then the USB-C connection will not be confused as a second monitor? I'd be happy to try that but I don't want to purchase a HDMI to DisplayPort cable to find I have the same problem as before. Do you know how others have set this up so they don't have the "dual display" issue I had?

Thanks for your help.

banacan wrote:

I have my Philips Brilliance monitor 279P1 connected to my Mac Mini (M1) using a USB-C cable. The monitor has two 3W speakers. When I try to play any audio - podcast; youtube; music - I hear nothing. I have checked that the monitor audio is not muted and everything is set correctly.

So my question is, does the USB-C cable connection carry audio as well as video and data? If so, why am I not able to hear anything?

I should mention that in the audio setting it lists my output device as a DisplayPort type. Shouldn't that be USB-C instead?

Jul 28, 2021 8:02 AM in response to hcsitas

@hcsitas

Connect the USB C of the monitor to USB A on the mini

Will that severely impact performance of all USB connected devices since USB-A is much slower than USB-C? I have a backup drive, scanner and printer all connected via USB.

If performance loss is not too significant, your answer may be my best solution.

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Jul 28, 2021 8:58 AM in response to banacan

banacan wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

When you say "Does the ... select DisplayPort" what do you mean? In Sound settings it lists the sound input as PHL 279P1 as DisplayPort type. Is that what you mean, if so, that's already selected.

Yes that is what I meant.

I have not tried another USB-C cable. I would need to purchase another one to try.

Try a USB-C to DisplayPort instead of USB-C to USB-C cable.

use a dual cable setup

Interestingly, I originally had my monitor connected HDMI to HDMI and USB-C to USB-C for the hub. It caused lots of display problems because it viewed the USB-C connection as a second monitor. Once I removed the HDMI cable it saw the USB-C connection as a single monitor, but I also apparently lost my audio.

That makes sense, the audio was using the HDMI connection.

So are you suggesting that I connect from the Mac Mini HDMI to the Philips DisplayPort, then the USB-C connection will not be confused as a second monitor? I'd be happy to try that but I don't want to purchase a HDMI to DisplayPort cable to find I have the same problem as before. Do you know how others have set this up so they don't have the "dual display" issue I had?

I never said any thing about an HDMI to DisplayPort cable. If you want to try a single cable, then try a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

Also hcsitas makes a good point and suggestion.

Use Premium Certified HDMI cable for Video and Audio

Use a high speed USB 3.0 USB-A to USB-A cable for the hub.

No audio on my Philips monitor 279P1 connected to Mac Mini via USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.