Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do my Airpods sometimes cut in and out when I'm on a call? It happens randomly.

When I'm on a call using my AirPods, sometimes they start cutting in and out. I have to put the phone on speaker to be able to use it again.

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 10:35 AM

Hi FrankOrtiz,

Got it. So then we recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly at this point, as we've covered relevant troubleshooting steps together, and it sounds like this is certainly not expected behavior.

Visit the website provided to find which contact option works best for you:

Get Support

Take care!

5 replies

Jul 29, 2021 8:34 AM in response to FrankOrtiz

Hi FrankOrtiz,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're glad you've reached out for help with your AirPods. Let's get to the bottom of this together.

Are you experiencing any similar disconnections when using your AirPods at other times, such as when playing music? Or is it only happening in calls?

So that we're on the same page, which device are you using with your AirPods, and what's the software version installed?

Have you noticed if this issue occurs when using your AirPods in certain locations, in proximity to other devices, or when simultaneously using another device signed into your Apple ID?

Let us know if it helps to reset your AirPods and then pair them back. Here's a guide to help:

How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro - Apple Support

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

Jul 29, 2021 9:18 AM in response to FrankOrtiz

Hi FrankOrtiz,

Thanks so much for clarifying. Do you ever experience any similar audio issues in calls when your AirPods aren't even in use? If so, this may indicate an issue with your wireless carrier, as it's only occurring in calls. In that case, let us know if the steps in this guide help:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

If the issue persists, we would recommend reaching out to your wireless carrier at that point.

However, if it's only occurring in calls while using AirPods, we'd like to point you in the right direction to investigate this more directly. In that case, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support using your preferred contact method from the following link:

Get Support

Take care.

Jul 29, 2021 8:57 AM in response to jcasapple

Q: Are you experiencing any similar disconnections when using your AirPods at other times, such as when playing music? Or is it only happening in calls?

A: I only experience this when I'm in a call. The audio cuts in and out and I can't hear them. It happens about 50% of the time.

Q: So that we're on the same page, which device are you using with your AirPods, and what's the software version installed?

A: iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS: 14.7.1 . But it has happened when I had my previous iPhone. It has ALWAYS happen.

A: AirPods Software: 3E750 .. Case: 1.9.4

Q: Have you noticed if this issue occurs when using your AirPods in certain locations, in proximity to other devices, or when simultaneously using another device signed into your Apple ID?

A: It happens in all areas. My office, driving around, walking around. Other than the iPhone, the other device I have on me is my Apple Watch Series 2.

Why do my Airpods sometimes cut in and out when I'm on a call? It happens randomly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.