Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App update frequency

Hello,

I am wondering if there is any policy from Apple towards the app developers regarding how frequently they can drop updates in the store? Some of the big name developers for essential apps have 300-400 Mb app updates released in every 3-4 days! It is quite annoying, not to mention the download size. I started to postpone updating and normally wait 2 weeks before I update, but if it’s security patches these updates have I am putting myself at risk. I would be so happy if these developers stopped these frequent and massive size updates, not very user friendly. I am wondering how secure these apps are if they need such frequent patching…

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 6:50 AM

Hello ennA321,

As a fellow user, I cannot speak to Apple's policies. However I'd surmise that any policy that sounds like it might delay a security patch would not be acceptable.

If data metering is an issue, you can review the notes for each release, and skipping less important ones, to keep down data usage. You might also check out the user group for that developer's apps (if it has one) and see how others are managing.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2021 6:50 AM in response to ennA321

Hello ennA321,

As a fellow user, I cannot speak to Apple's policies. However I'd surmise that any policy that sounds like it might delay a security patch would not be acceptable.

If data metering is an issue, you can review the notes for each release, and skipping less important ones, to keep down data usage. You might also check out the user group for that developer's apps (if it has one) and see how others are managing.

Jul 29, 2021 6:20 AM in response to ed2345

Hello ed2345,

Thanks for responding.

Thing is I have metered data (yes it’s a thing). I have 4-5 apps from this one developer and patches land around the same time for each, so roughly 2x800 Mb download / week just from this one developer. It’s mad.

I would have hoped there is more stringent quality control from Apple in relation to patch releases from developers.

App update frequency

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.