Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app orange circle on one contact only

I've got one contact that shows up with their initials in an orange circe. Everyone else is either a photo from my contacts or their initials in a grey circle.

I can't figure out why this one person shows as an orange circle. I can't seem to be able to google it either.

Here is a screen shot:

I've checked to make sure that I have their right phone number and AppleID password.

Does anyone know what this means?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 10:21 AM

This has nothing to do with my issue. This person is not capable of making their own and I never made a custom icon for them.

I deleted their contact and re-added it manually and that made it go away.

I still don't know why it happened which is always alarming.

4 replies

Jul 29, 2021 3:07 AM in response to Pink Frankenstein

Open Mac contacts application , click on plus sign and create on new contact .

Drag and drop empty circle image to the desktop , right click over it and open with preview , you can colour the image with orange , and make the first and last name as T B and click on done to save see the article Annotate an image in Preview on Mac - Apple Support

Open photo application make sure you have set up photo library and its preferences see the articles Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Change preferences in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

System Photo Library overview for Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Again drag and drop the image kept on desktop in personal album already created on photo application .

Once again create a new contact in Mac address book , click on change profile picture ( plus sign ) , click on albums and choose the picture , click on next and save it .

If the person has used this method and shared messages to your Mac , their profile picture will be shown as coloured and first and last name written as T B .

Messages app orange circle on one contact only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.