Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring photos from backed up iPhone on Mac

Just sold my iPhone but backed up the phone to my Mac via iTunes (I'm still on High Sierra 10.13)

Now, how do I access those backed up photos? 

In iTunes I select the desired backup and then select 'Show in Finder', I'm taken to a MobileSync folder with a bunch of files. 

Is this where the backed up photos reside? The files are not jpegs, just weird alphanumeric file names.

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 2:43 PM

The iPhone backup is an all or none situation. You cannot pick or choose what you wish to recover. You would need to restore the backup to a device to get those photos back. You should have just imported the photos to the Mac or used iCloud Photos.

8 replies

Jul 28, 2021 2:53 PM in response to blindemboss

If you backed up your photos by creating a backup from your phone, you would need to use that backup to restore the phone. If you backed up the images by using iCloud, comply sign into iCloud and the photos will download.

If you backed up images by offloading them in some other way, then the images would be where you stored them.

As you backed up your phone, you need to restore it. Your pictures are stored in a SQL database and are inaccessible to the end user.

Restoring photos from backed up iPhone on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.