Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"No Service" on my iPhone after iOS 14.7.1 update

After I update my iphone 11 to ios 14.7.1 i lost a signal. Carrier is not found. No service is flashing on upper screen. Please help me. I recently brought my phone. Hoping for a immediate response

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 5:23 AM

91 replies

Aug 18, 2021 6:32 AM in response to Fredflip

Well, with a 6 year old phone it may have just died of old age. However: Go to Settings/General/About and look at Modem Firmware. Is the entry blank? If it is you need to reinstall it by restoring the phone to factory settings, then restoring a backup. Back up the phone first, of course:

1. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support - follow the instructions to restore using your computer, do not using Settings/General/Reset (which is not included in those instructions)
  3. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

If the modem firmware DOES have a value you probably have a hardware problem. The first step is what I just posted, but after that you need to contact Apple support using the Get Support link at the top of this page.

Aug 18, 2021 1:02 PM in response to slurmzmckenzie

You must follow the instructions I posted, not what you think you should do.

2. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support - follow the instructions to restore using your computer, do not using Settings/General/Reset (which is not included in those instructions)

Aug 19, 2021 6:53 AM in response to wookiemac

It will not be resolved with any upgrade, because it is not a problem with any version. It is a hardware or software problem with YOUR PHONE, not the version you have installed. I posted a troubleshooting article on the first page of this thread. Here it is again:

Go to Settings/General/About and look at Modem Firmware. Is the entry blank? If it is you need to reinstall it by restoring the phone to factory settings, then restoring a backup. Back up the phone first, of course:

If the modem firmware DOES have a value you probably have a hardware problem. The first step is what I just posted, but after that you need to contact Apple support using the Get Support link at the top of this page.

Aug 11, 2021 5:21 AM in response to Knicoconut

I have the same issue on my iPhone 11 and I tried everythings from this article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201415.

Nothing change.

I think there is a common issue on all iPhone 11 and the issue is comming from the motherboard (3V circuit) and Apple knows that but they change only the devices which are in warranty. And that is unfair in my opinion.

Aug 18, 2021 9:39 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I don't think it's hardware, the exact same thing has happened to me on an iPhone XS. Working perfectly fine, run the update, no service. Have reset network settings, restored the phone, etc. nothing.

My SIM works fine in other peoples phones so its not a problem with the carrier. The error message my phone gave me specifically says the issue is related to a problem updating the software on the phone. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208733

from that page: "If you see this alert, there was an issue updating the mobile communication features of your iPhone or iPad."

"An update is required to use mobile data on this iPhone".  problem is it's the latest version of iOS thats causing this problem. That help article says to CMD + Click on the check for updates button to reinstall the latest version, however this doesn't appear to work anymore since CMD + Clicking that button just tells me I have the most up to date version still.

Aug 18, 2021 2:00 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

1. I backed it up to my computer, its also backed up to iCloud
  2. This is exactly the way that I did it
  3. I can't do this step because it won't get past the initial hello screen because it won't "activate" so there is no path to restore. I can't activate by cellular since the restore (exactly the way you suggested in point 2) didn't fix it, it won't restore via finder or iTunes (tested on 2 different macbooks), and WiFi restore fails also. I don't get any restore options at all on the phone and I cannot restore via finder / iTunes because it won't "activate" so won't give me options to restore either.

Aug 19, 2021 7:14 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

First of all, thank you for your reply. Here is what I've checked/done

1. Checked the SIM with another iPhone XS, working fine, able to talk, receive calls, using data etc.
  2. Inserted others SIMs on my iPhone and I get "No Service" all the time.
  3. Airplane mode was activated and deactivated.
  4. Network reset was done.
  5. Factory reset was done.
  6. Updated to higher version of iOS update, no luck.

Since I live in Mongolia and there is no Apple service center, I think I'm finished with this phone. If I was in States or in Europe I could just visit to Apple service center. Also I know I can somehow contact to Apple and send this phone to them via DHL, but this is iPhone 7 we're talking about.

Aug 19, 2021 9:39 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Uhm, the news are just getting out. More and more news sites are reporting the problem. Just try a search on your favorite search engine now and in a few hours.

Yes, Apple has broken something in the latest firmware Out of curiosity I have just swapped the SIM in the SE for a Dutch SIM that can roam on all three German networks here. When you register it on T-Mobile and wait the indicator bars get weak after 10 to 20 seconds. Then the phone says "No service" for a few seconds. And now comes the interesting part. The phone then registers on Vodafone (tower is around 600 yards from my home) or O2 (also around 600 yards) and the network connection is completely stable on both networks.

The possibilities that your phones still work fine are probably:

• General network parameters set by your network operator still work with 14.7..1
  • Some phones/base stations can have problems with a certain manufacturer of base station/phones

Yes, it is possible that the same phone can work on the part of an operator's network that has e.g. Ericsson base stations and fail on the other part that uses e.g. Huawei.

And BTW I was working as a network optimization engineer at a cellular phone company for 8 years. I don't need pointless post of "1st level support" quality.

Aug 18, 2021 6:33 AM in response to laurentiu211

laurentiu211 wrote:

I think there is a common issue on all iPhone 11 and the issue is comming from the motherboard (3V circuit) and Apple knows that but they change only the devices which are in warranty. And that is unfair in my opinion.

Common issue? Unlikely. When there is a common issue there are thousands of posts about the issue, and the major tech sites all have articles about it. Yours is the first I have seen in this forum.

Aug 18, 2021 8:48 AM in response to Knicoconut

This is an outrage! My phone (iPhone 12 Pro) updated automatically when I was asleep and it now says "No Service"! I'm frustrated! I tried everything from their "support page on how to fix this nonsense" but we all now that the problem is caused by the new iOS update. I cannot believe that I can't use my phone for the whole day! Also I'm not in my native country, so I've paid my network provider some additional packages for roaming internet and calls, and my job is suffering because I do not have my phone active! The phone that I paid ~1200 USD. This is really something that should not happen EVER in the history human kind really! Embarrassment! I think I will throw it away along with my other Apple stuff...

Aug 18, 2021 11:53 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

My modem firmware was empty, so I tried restoring from factory settings and now my phone won't activate as part of the restore process, tried activating via WiFi and 2 different MacBook Pros, so if anyone sees this and has the same problem I recommend you do not do the same. Now I can't access any of my banking or 2FA apps (hopefully nothing prompts me for 2FA in the next few days).

They've got me going into a service centre now to resolve it.

"No Service" on my iPhone after iOS 14.7.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.