Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to share my iMovie project so another person can edit with other software, how do I do this?

How do I share my project file in iMovie so another editor can work on it using another software? I know how to share so I can post the finished project but, not to edit.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 9:00 AM

If both of you have Macs and are using the exact same version of iMovie you can create a new iMovie library, copy your project into it, and then put the library that contains the project on a thumb drive or other external drive that you can then physically transfer to your collaborator.

If the recipient is using software other than iMovie, or has a Windows PC, then the only way to share the project is to export the project as a movie file and send the standalone movie to your collaborator. Editing of it will be limited because embedded edits generally cannot be changed. However, perhaps your collaborator's software has the capability of splitting and trimming, adding titles, and so on.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2021 9:00 AM in response to captainfun

If both of you have Macs and are using the exact same version of iMovie you can create a new iMovie library, copy your project into it, and then put the library that contains the project on a thumb drive or other external drive that you can then physically transfer to your collaborator.

If the recipient is using software other than iMovie, or has a Windows PC, then the only way to share the project is to export the project as a movie file and send the standalone movie to your collaborator. Editing of it will be limited because embedded edits generally cannot be changed. However, perhaps your collaborator's software has the capability of splitting and trimming, adding titles, and so on.

-- Rich

I want to share my iMovie project so another person can edit with other software, how do I do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.