Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 11” (2021) 5G WiFi

I’m considering buying an iPad Pro 11” 2021 (WiFi only) in USA. However I will need to use it in EU/Ireland, where I have 5G WiFi. Any compatibility issues? I read somewhere that USA/EU may use different nano-frequencies for 5G WiFi, rendering the 5G incompatible outside of USA? Advice appreciated.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 5:04 AM

WiFi globally uses two principal frequency bands - 2.4GHz and 5GHz. These bands are subdivided into channels - and it is only the channels used in differing regions that may vary. Most geographic regions use a sub-set of the full range of channels.

All models of iPad are able to access all channels within the two WiFi frequency bands, but are simply limited in the bands that are being used by the WiFi Router / Access Point that provide the network to which you connect.

If setting-up your own WiFi network, this support page details Apple’s recommended WiFi settings:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points – Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2021 5:04 AM in response to djoc2000

WiFi globally uses two principal frequency bands - 2.4GHz and 5GHz. These bands are subdivided into channels - and it is only the channels used in differing regions that may vary. Most geographic regions use a sub-set of the full range of channels.

All models of iPad are able to access all channels within the two WiFi frequency bands, but are simply limited in the bands that are being used by the WiFi Router / Access Point that provide the network to which you connect.

If setting-up your own WiFi network, this support page details Apple’s recommended WiFi settings:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points – Apple Support

Jul 30, 2021 12:57 PM in response to djoc2000

5G is the current fashionable marketing name used for recent cellular connections; harder, better, faster, stronger, or something else similarly Daft.

5G cellular has different channel ranges, and there is overlap, and a particular cellular caller may or may nor permit connections on the particular set of carrier-compatible channels available on your device.

Wi-Fi is different from cellular. Most any active Wi-Fi is running Wi-Fi 4, Wi-Fi 5, or the current Wi-Fi 6. There are somewhat different ranges of Wi-Fi channels available depending on your location, and Wi-Fi geolocation will cause the Wi-Fi router and the iPad to select the correct channel range for your particular Wi-Fi location. iPad Pro 2021 is Wi-Fi 6, which is backwards-compatible with any Wi-Fi you’re likely to encounter.

iPad Pro 11” (2021) 5G WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.