Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movie rental

Do I really need to download the movie to watch after purchase as rental based via Apple movie store on iMac? 48 hours to finish watching, right?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 10:16 AM

Good Afternoon unite2020,

We see that you have questions with how to watch a rental movie, as well as how much time you have to watch the movie. We'd be glad to provide some information on that for you.

With the rental, you're not required to download the movie as you can stream it so this is up to you. If you'll be watching the movie on the go, it may be best to download if you don't want to use cellular data, but that is up to you. The rental automatically deletes and removes from your library after either 30 days or 48 hours after you start watching it, whichever is sooner. For more information on this, take a look at the following resource:

Rent movies from the Apple TV app

We hope that's able to address the questions that you had.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2021 10:16 AM in response to unite2020

Good Afternoon unite2020,

We see that you have questions with how to watch a rental movie, as well as how much time you have to watch the movie. We'd be glad to provide some information on that for you.

With the rental, you're not required to download the movie as you can stream it so this is up to you. If you'll be watching the movie on the go, it may be best to download if you don't want to use cellular data, but that is up to you. The rental automatically deletes and removes from your library after either 30 days or 48 hours after you start watching it, whichever is sooner. For more information on this, take a look at the following resource:

Rent movies from the Apple TV app

We hope that's able to address the questions that you had.

Have a great day!

Aug 1, 2021 9:23 AM in response to unite2020

unite2020,

I'm glad that information was able to help with answering the questions you had before.

As for your question of the point in purchasing movies via the Apple TV app, this allows you to have the movie to enjoy at any time instead of only having 30 days or 48 hours to enjoy the rental. For more information on purchasing a movie or TV show via the Apple TV app, take a look at the following resource:

Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app

To address your question regarding sharing the purchased movie, keep in mind that if you are sharing your login information that you are opening yourself up to the possibility of a compromised Apple ID account. If your Apple ID account were to be accessed by someone with information being changed to prevent you from logging in, that may result in you losing access to all of your purchases that can't be recovered as the account security could be updated to prevent you from being able to login or recover the account. If you're interested in sharing purchases with your family, you could use Family Sharing to achieve that with the members of your Family Sharing group. For additional information on that, take a look at this resource:

How to share purchases with your family

We hope that is able to address the questions that you have.

Take care!

Aug 1, 2021 11:07 AM in response to unite2020

unite2020 wrote:

I think I got you.
...I can’t store it on my local drive storage too.
Thank you so much.

You can download iTunes videos in HD format to your Mac or you can stream it.

However, 4K versions can only be streamed. This is true of all the "legal" 4K content

providers. The only way you can get a copy of 4K material is if you purchase super Blu-Rays

or whatever they are called for 4K content.

Aug 2, 2021 5:58 AM in response to unite2020

unite2020 wrote:

However, I would suggest Apple to do something to prevent users to share HD movies to any third party especially for commercial purposes...

That cannot be done already as all purchases and rentals are tied to an AppleID. If you or anyone gives their AppleID to another user, that is an entirely different issue plus, the content that is purchased or rented can only be played on a device that have been authorized by the AppleID.

Also, specifically to rentals, once they are played once, they are blocked and even removed so that they cannot be played again.

Movie rental

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.