Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant needed?

If my new MacBook already has all the info transferred from my previous MacBook, what is the purpose of the Migration Assistant?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 2:10 PM

Apple basically provides two methods to migrate user data from one Mac to another, and they are:

1. Setup Assistant - This runs the very first time you start up a new Mac.
  2. Migration Assistant - This can be run anytime after that initial start up.

Both options allow for you to select, for example, a Time Machine backup to restore data to a new device.

Ref: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2021 2:10 PM in response to stacyfromnewport beach

Apple basically provides two methods to migrate user data from one Mac to another, and they are:

1. Setup Assistant - This runs the very first time you start up a new Mac.
  2. Migration Assistant - This can be run anytime after that initial start up.

Both options allow for you to select, for example, a Time Machine backup to restore data to a new device.

Ref: How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Jul 31, 2021 7:54 AM in response to stacyfromnewport beach

Sorry to be somewhat confusing, but you could use either. That is, when you first start up your new Mac, it will run the "Setup Assistant." That process actually will ask if you want to transfer data from another Mac.

If you decide at that time, not to run this process, you will still be brought to the Mac's Desktop with the administrator-level user account. You can then decide to use the Migration Assistant to transfer the data.

What I suggest is that you go ahead and use the Setup Assistant and let it take you through the steps of transferring your previous Mac's data. The link I provided you should give you all the details. Alternatively, since this is a notebook, pay a visit to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and they can assist you with this first-time setup.

Migration Assistant needed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.