Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to safely delete a POP email account without losing emails

I want to delete an old email account that I don't use anymore and I want to confirm the right way to do this. Is it true that as long as I've moved the emails for that account out of the Inbox, and Sent folders, to another local mailbox, that I should be able to delete the account without losing data?

Just want to make sure before I proceed.

Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 4:02 PM

8 replies

Jul 30, 2021 4:59 PM in response to bentStaple

bentStaple wrote:

I want to delete an old email account that I don't use anymore and I want to confirm the right way to do this. Is it true that as long as I've moved the emails for that account out of the Inbox, and Sent folders, to another local mailbox, that I should be able to delete the account without losing data?

Thanks!

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/75dc001c-2c91-486e-9925-e3b5d9e969bb

Yes this how it works—

POP removes off the server, so once downloaded they are in your inbox.

IMAP remain on the server accessible for other devices. You can still create "local" mailboxes "On My Mac" for any reason you see fit.

My understanding is you create a mailbox "On My Mac" and move all you emails to the "On MY Mac" they remain there in your Mail.app side bar under the "On My Mac"

For each mailbox for example your Inbox—> "Old Inbox" "Old Sent" etc.. Once you have "local copies you can delete the account or make your change to IMAP or whatever.

I have Old-Old-inbox going back to 2003 in this manner, from an old POP EudoraMail.app before I transitioned from POP to IMAP back in ~2009

If you have a ton of emails to move, I recommend doing it in batches, compared to all at the same time/ per mailbox.

It is scary business if you are determined to save the old records. Have reliable backups of your computer system— so if something goes sideways you can always fall back and try again. I did several trial runs in this way before I was satisfied with the results.

Aug 5, 2021 3:16 PM in response to tbirdvet

Okay I was going to proceed with the deleting of the account, but after the first warning popup, shown at the top of this thread, another scary one was shown:

The warning makes it sound like there is no hope of having any old emails saved, even if they have been moved into mailboxes under "On My Mac". Are you sure it's safe for me to continue?

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2021 6:13 PM in response to bentStaple

bentStaple wrote:

One caveat to your above advice given,

If you 'move them back' from On My Mac: the 'old sent' box to your new All Sent account, it will resend all those old emails...

I would not recommend that. There is hardly any penalty leaving them "On My Mac," as you move forward.

ref:

tbirdvet wrote:

....my old emails to "on my Mac" and then moved them back after the new account was setup.

How to safely delete a POP email account without losing emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.