Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Storage, disk management

What's behind the error code com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49180

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 9:58 AM

Error 49180 has really not been illuminated to me; I did have success though in removing the error. Please see this post:

After the authorised repair service backed up the SSD and re-installed Big Sur (re-installing the files and applications from their back up), all USB ports (incl. TB-2) began working again. I was able to repeat the backup in TimeMachine and clean re-install Big Sur, successfully. Restoring my TM-backup helped ensure that my own clean install of the MacOS couldn't be compromised by older versions of items that had been grandfathered through various years of system upgrades. Thus, the upgrade to Big Sur proved to be the least forgiving, i.e., the most error-prone in comparison to all previous upgrades, beginning with my upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Ergo: Everyone ought to best be prepared in future to first flatten the system and then clean-install newer OS versions, using a full TimeMachine backup to restore user files. Fallback: Keep a clone of the last running system ready in case any upgrade leads to new unexpected issues. It's no fun to lose USB-device service and have no second Mac handy to help you get things working again.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2021 9:58 AM in response to Rudegar

Error 49180 has really not been illuminated to me; I did have success though in removing the error. Please see this post:

After the authorised repair service backed up the SSD and re-installed Big Sur (re-installing the files and applications from their back up), all USB ports (incl. TB-2) began working again. I was able to repeat the backup in TimeMachine and clean re-install Big Sur, successfully. Restoring my TM-backup helped ensure that my own clean install of the MacOS couldn't be compromised by older versions of items that had been grandfathered through various years of system upgrades. Thus, the upgrade to Big Sur proved to be the least forgiving, i.e., the most error-prone in comparison to all previous upgrades, beginning with my upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Ergo: Everyone ought to best be prepared in future to first flatten the system and then clean-install newer OS versions, using a full TimeMachine backup to restore user files. Fallback: Keep a clone of the last running system ready in case any upgrade leads to new unexpected issues. It's no fun to lose USB-device service and have no second Mac handy to help you get things working again.

USB Storage, disk management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.