Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

add phonetic symbols in pages on Mac Sur

How can I add IPA and phonetic symbols in pages on my Mac .

iMac 27″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 8:51 AM

You can access glyphs at Edit > Emoji and Symbols or by using control + command + space bar

That will open the selector menu, which defaults to Emoji.

Click the "keyboard switch" in the upper right:

You'll then have a broader menu of glyphs from which to choose.

You may need to change the typeface as not all glyphs and symbols are embedded in all font families.

For some characters, standard Latin with diacritical marks, simply hold down the key (example of holding down "a" below)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2021 8:51 AM in response to latif45

You can access glyphs at Edit > Emoji and Symbols or by using control + command + space bar

That will open the selector menu, which defaults to Emoji.

Click the "keyboard switch" in the upper right:

You'll then have a broader menu of glyphs from which to choose.

You may need to change the typeface as not all glyphs and symbols are embedded in all font families.

For some characters, standard Latin with diacritical marks, simply hold down the key (example of holding down "a" below)

Jul 31, 2021 10:12 AM in response to latif45

latif45 wrote:

How can I add IPA and phonetic symbols in pages on my Mac .

Input systems for IPA will normally work for all apps.

Here is one that may be useful if you do a lot of this:

https://blugs.com/IPA/index.html

Otherwise use Character Viewer. If you go to the gear wheel at top left and select customize, you can check a box for Phonetic Alphabet.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-emoji-and-symbols-on-mac-mchlp1560/11.0/mac/11.0

add phonetic symbols in pages on Mac Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.