Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete synced files without deleting from the cloud after installing the new Google Drive Desktop

After installing the new

Google drive for desktop on my Macbook, and replacing the Google Backup and

Sync, every time I delete a file from my local mac folders, the file is automatically

deleted from the Google Drive.

How can I set the backup to work like it did

with Google Backup & Sync: When a file was deleted from the local computer,

I was getting a warning, asking me if I would like to delete the file from

Google Drive.

I'm using it on a MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.15.7.

Until last week I used Google Backup &

Sync and everything worked great.

After Installing the new Google Drive for

Desktop (Version: 49.0.9.0 (Intel)), with GD set to Stream I get this behavior.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 11:33 AM

This sounds to me like a question for Google, being that it's their product that you're having issue with.

If it were iCloud sync you were having trouble with, then you'd be in the right place.

Good luck, my friend. 🍀

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 2, 2021 11:02 AM in response to Barney-15E

Because Google announced this new version of Google Drive Desktop is replacing Google Backup and Sync, It is expected to behave like the previous product.

I asked on Google support forum here:

https://support.google.com/a/thread/118742993/cannot-delete-synced-files-without-deleting-from-the-cloud?hl=en&msgid=118808911

And someone answered that the new version does ask him before deleting files from the Google Drive, But it’s not clear if the guy who answered is using Google Drive Desktop on macOS or if he is using the latest version.

Cannot delete synced files without deleting from the cloud after installing the new Google Drive Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.