Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message installing Mojave "disk is too small"

Hello! I'm trying to install Mojave in an external SSD of 1tB. I already did the same some months ago in an external SSD of 500gb and everything went great. But now, I format the disk, I install it from command+R, it took a few hours and then right at the end it shows a message saying that the "destination disk is too small" (translated from Spanish, I don't know the exact words it says in English). I checked and the disk is completely free. Any guess why this might be happening and how to solve it? Thanks in advance!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 1:20 AM

Why go to Recovery Mode ? It would be easier to >>

How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install. Make sure to use Only Safari to commence the download as Others may not work

Once the Full Installer of Mojave is download Stop there. Attach the external drive and launch the Mojave Installer and point it to install on the external drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 1:20 AM in response to emmafrombarcelona

Why go to Recovery Mode ? It would be easier to >>

How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install. Make sure to use Only Safari to commence the download as Others may not work

Once the Full Installer of Mojave is download Stop there. Attach the external drive and launch the Mojave Installer and point it to install on the external drive.

Error message installing Mojave "disk is too small"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.