Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crash changed preferences settings – maybe

Hello,

I’m using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 on an iMac. Last night, after using Parallels virtual machine without any problems and then using Safari with just a YouTube window, I experienced a ‘your computer restarted because of a problem’ crash, after all applications had become unresponsive (beach-ball). When the restarts had finished – and after visiting safe mode – I noticed some strange things:

1. The font size in finder’s sidebar is now larger than it was before (it used to be the same size as the files' names).

2. It’s now displaying my username in the menu-bar instead of just showing an icon.

3. Bluetooth is running, even though I had not used it before.

... and 12 other preferences settings had been changed.

• What could have happened that could have caused this, smashing all these settings to pieces?

• These are the changes I have been able to find, but I’m worried that other things may also have been effected. What else should I check?

Many thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 1:01 PM

coxorange wrote:

Hello,

I’m using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 on an iMac. Last night, after using Parallels virtual machine without any problems and then using Safari with just a YouTube window, I experienced a ‘your computer restarted because of a problem’ crash,
1. The font size in finder’s sidebar is now larger than it was before (it used to be the same size as the files' names).
2. It’s now displaying my username in the menu-bar instead of just showing an icon.

Crashes can corrupt user setting, yes.

Make changes in your >System Preferences> and adjust to your preferred settings

1. General>Sidebar icon size
  2. Users & Groups>Log-in options>Display Log-in Window as:
  3. Bluetooth (or simple click on t BT icon in the menubar)

I will add Both Wifi and BT are used for many features:

Use Continuity to work across Apple devices - Apple Support

further reading:

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2021 1:01 PM in response to coxorange

coxorange wrote:

Hello,

I’m using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 on an iMac. Last night, after using Parallels virtual machine without any problems and then using Safari with just a YouTube window, I experienced a ‘your computer restarted because of a problem’ crash,

Crashes can corrupt user setting, yes.

Make changes in your >System Preferences> and adjust to your preferred settings

1. General>Sidebar icon size
  2. Users & Groups>Log-in options>Display Log-in Window as:
  3. Bluetooth (or simple click on t BT icon in the menubar)

I will add Both Wifi and BT are used for many features:

Use Continuity to work across Apple devices - Apple Support

further reading:

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

Aug 4, 2021 12:03 PM in response to coxorange

coxorange wrote:

Thanks, I managed to get all settings back.
Instead of doing this manually, could I have copied back the current
Preferences settings file from Time Machine?
If such a file exists, where would I find this?

Good computing coxorange !

Either way is manual, you took the faster more direct route. Pulling associate plist takes a little more effort and a deep dive.

Crash changed preferences settings – maybe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.