Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch flashing colors

About a week ago, my apple watch series 4 nike edition started flashing bright colors as shown in the attached screenshots. This coincidentally happened after the watchOS update 7.6. Although it is constantly flashing things, underneath it all, it all works, vibrates on events, and if it take a screenshot it saves it normally. I had a brief couple of hours of working situation after i updated to 7.6.1 but then all the flashing started again. Any clue to what might have happened or how to resolve it?

thank you

Apple Watch Sport

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 9:43 AM

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This should result in no loss of data. It deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

But it sounds like a hardware problem, the fastest way might be to make an appointment at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store near you. If that is not possible use online Apple Support. Either way:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 9:43 AM in response to vtikha

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This should result in no loss of data. It deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

But it sounds like a hardware problem, the fastest way might be to make an appointment at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store near you. If that is not possible use online Apple Support. Either way:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Aug 3, 2021 8:17 AM in response to javaliga

Thank you @javaliga for your quick reply. I had already tried the first one without any luck . I tried the second solution, to unpair the watch out of despair, and still did not work. Now unfortunately I cannot pair it again as the screen is "colourful" and cannot obviously I cannot get the menu or pairing animation. I will go to a Genius Bar but I already know the answer.

Thank you

Sep 12, 2021 5:54 AM in response to vtikha

My watch series 4 did the exact same thing in early July. It then died and I didn’t use it for almost a month, at which point it charged normally and was usable for about 3 weeks before the same thing happened. Now it’s going in and out, one time works one time doesn’t. This is not a reset/pair-unpair issue. It seems to not be making a connection somewhere in the watch, as sometimes squeezing the sides of the watch brings the screen back on, until you let go and a few seconds later is gone again. It also gets increasingly hot when the screen lights up like this. Apple seems to think that they should charge $330 to fix this faulty product. Seeing other people having this issue, it’s simply unbelievable that Apple doesn’t stand behind their expensive watches and offer customer a solution that doesn’t cost as much as a new watch. All complains I have found are series 4 so this seems to be perhaps an issue with production in 2018.

Apple Watch flashing colors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.