Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to edit a movie with iMovie on my MacBook Pro, then give it to my wife to continue ediitng on her identical MacBook Pro. How can I do this? It looks like mp4 doesn't do the trick.

I want to edit a movie with iMovie on my MacBook Pro, then give it to my wife to continue ediitng on her identical MacBook Pro. How can I do this? It looks like mp4 doesn't do the trick.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 12:38 PM

Ian's suggested procedure is the way to do it. Along those same lines, you can create a new iMovie library, copy the project into it, and then transfer the library that contains the project to a thumb drive or other external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then plug the thumb drive into your wife's computer where she can open the library and edit the project. .

For this to work both Macs must be running the exact identical version of iMovie 10.

An Mp4 actually would work to a limited extent. You could share out your movie to an Mp4 file and then transfer that file to your wife's Mac. She could then import it into a newly created iMovie project and edit it to a limited extent. She couldn't change any embedded edits that you made, but the Mp4 could be split, trimmed, segments deleted, new clips added, titles added, effects added.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 12:38 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian's suggested procedure is the way to do it. Along those same lines, you can create a new iMovie library, copy the project into it, and then transfer the library that contains the project to a thumb drive or other external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then plug the thumb drive into your wife's computer where she can open the library and edit the project. .

For this to work both Macs must be running the exact identical version of iMovie 10.

An Mp4 actually would work to a limited extent. You could share out your movie to an Mp4 file and then transfer that file to your wife's Mac. She could then import it into a newly created iMovie project and edit it to a limited extent. She couldn't change any embedded edits that you made, but the Mp4 could be split, trimmed, segments deleted, new clips added, titles added, effects added.

-- Rich

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.