Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Screen Bezel front logo cracked.... How to fix it?

I purchased the new 2019 MacBook Pro 13.3 inch, less then a month ago. The bottom bezel/baffle (not sure of the exact name for this area) has cracked. The screen display has not been affected, only the bezel. I tried asking Apple Support how much it will cost to fix this (no Apple Care), but they are unable to quote me without looking at it. The nearest apple store is far away from me. I am trying to determine how to get this fixed at the best price before driving all the way to the Apple Store to find out this is going to cost 25000to fix. Any recommendations on the best course of action I should take here. Again, this is not effecting the screen display, it is only on the black strip below the screen where it says "MacBook Pro". I greatly appreciate any help/suggestions/guidance here. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 12:34 AM

Getting a quote from an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) or an Apple Store is the best way. Getting any service from outside authorized providers will all-but-certainly void the warranty. But any valid estimate will require physical examination.

Perhaps Apple phone support can arrange mail-in option to examine it to save the drive.

Either way, get a good backup because if the solution may involve a system swap and the data on the old SSD will not be transferred ... you must reinstall application programs and data using a restore method. I used a clone (CarbonCopyCloner, bombich.com) which makes an image of even the disk partitions to overlay any replacement system (if such an event ever occurred to me).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 12:34 AM in response to himesh224

Getting a quote from an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) or an Apple Store is the best way. Getting any service from outside authorized providers will all-but-certainly void the warranty. But any valid estimate will require physical examination.

Perhaps Apple phone support can arrange mail-in option to examine it to save the drive.

Either way, get a good backup because if the solution may involve a system swap and the data on the old SSD will not be transferred ... you must reinstall application programs and data using a restore method. I used a clone (CarbonCopyCloner, bombich.com) which makes an image of even the disk partitions to overlay any replacement system (if such an event ever occurred to me).

Aug 14, 2021 1:40 AM in response to himesh224

I have the same problem 3 month old macbook pro M1 2020 crack on right . All was ok when I closed, from the middle of the screen, but when I opened in the morning there it was! Since I am on an island there is no service rep here. But from what I understood talking to a applecare rep it will probably be considered damaged from usage and therefore not covered. The local computer shop here said they will not replace the bezel because it is too dangerous they suggested to just put a bit of glu in the area to stop cracking for now anyway. A new screen will cost probably half the cost of a new one so not worth it. From what I have been reading on the internet this is not unusual and apple knows this and hasn't recalled because it will cost. Very sad indeed, after owning 6 macs since 1992 I end up with a lemon it seems.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro Screen Bezel front logo cracked.... How to fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.