Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot change priveleges

Hi, I have a new iMac, M1, Big Sur 11.4. My date was migrated from my previous MacBook Pro.

My problem is that when I try and change priveledges to 'Read & Write" it tells me that i do not have the necessary permission. I am the owner of the machine with the only admin account. I also want to add my own account to the priveleges and change the icon from the old laptop one.

This is probably simple but I cannot see the answer. Any help appreciated.

James

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 7:25 AM

I am not sure when you did this, but you should never (even in previous versions) change the permissions of your system drive. Ultimately this could have led to your mac failing to boot, or you losing access to the contents of the drive.

In Catalina and Big Sur, it is forbidden to modify the contents of the top level of the drive, and that is with good reason.

Well, actually in Big Sur you cannot possibly do it, because that part is mounted as read-only; so even if you were root, you couldn't make changes.

Let me reiterate: this is a good thing. It preserves the system and prevents unwanted tampering, as well as dangerous user error.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 7:25 AM in response to James Roberston

I am not sure when you did this, but you should never (even in previous versions) change the permissions of your system drive. Ultimately this could have led to your mac failing to boot, or you losing access to the contents of the drive.

In Catalina and Big Sur, it is forbidden to modify the contents of the top level of the drive, and that is with good reason.

Well, actually in Big Sur you cannot possibly do it, because that part is mounted as read-only; so even if you were root, you couldn't make changes.

Let me reiterate: this is a good thing. It preserves the system and prevents unwanted tampering, as well as dangerous user error.

Aug 2, 2021 7:42 AM in response to James Roberston

You should not have to boot into Safe Mode to be able to change the icon.

This suggests to me that you have installed stuff that may be blocking this (and probably other things).

Without knowing any more details, I am guessing that you may have some third party "antivirus".

There should not be one.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

cannot change priveleges

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.