Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 randomly shuts down

Hello,

my iPhone 12 (purchased in December 2020) has started shutting down randomly since I updated to iOS 14.7.1.

It will stay off for a few minutes and won't let me reboot it. Plugging it into my MacBook or any power supply doesn't help either.

After a few minutes after I try the "volume up, volume down, hold power button" it turns back on.

But for how long? it has turned off twice today and once yesterday and once two days ago... (which is the day I updated to 14.7.1).

Anybody have any ideas? Do I need wait for an iOS update? or is this a hardware issue?

Thanks,

Werner

iPhone 12

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 7:29 AM

You may have a hardware problem

You already trief a forced restart.

If that does not help the  next procedure would be to backup then restore your device to factory, and setup the device without restoring a backup, to see if the issue is replicated. 

Then restore the backup. 

If you need to send the phone in for repair then backing up and restoring to factory would be needed anyway.

Here is a guide for those steps

Backup and restore (I recommend the computer method if you have one)

(1)How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

Remove SIM PIN if you have set one

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Set up as new from the Hello Screen without restoring backup. Test if the problem still exists

If the problem goes away in the newly set up phone then suspect settings or apps, and in particular VPNs and so-called security apps which should never go near an iphone.

If the problem remains then arrange a repair including details of these tests.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service

(3) When your phone comes back Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 7:29 AM in response to dietrich78

You may have a hardware problem

You already trief a forced restart.

If that does not help the  next procedure would be to backup then restore your device to factory, and setup the device without restoring a backup, to see if the issue is replicated. 

Then restore the backup. 

If you need to send the phone in for repair then backing up and restoring to factory would be needed anyway.

Here is a guide for those steps

Backup and restore (I recommend the computer method if you have one)

(1)How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

Remove SIM PIN if you have set one

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Set up as new from the Hello Screen without restoring backup. Test if the problem still exists

If the problem goes away in the newly set up phone then suspect settings or apps, and in particular VPNs and so-called security apps which should never go near an iphone.

If the problem remains then arrange a repair including details of these tests.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service

(3) When your phone comes back Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Aug 2, 2021 9:18 AM in response to LD150

Thanks for the ideas. I will try doing a factory reset without the backup. (It's just very inconvenient as I need the multiple MFA Apps for banking, email, access to azure, etc etc etc. on a daily basis. Too many to list... )

If the issue persists without the backup, then I probably have a hardware issue I assume. Do you recommend sending it in? or going in the apple store?

If the issue only comes back after I do a restore that "could" point to software issue (?). I would then try to setup the phone again from scratch by setting up the individual MFA accounts again.

Thanks

Aug 26, 2021 5:45 AM in response to nairzk

You have two phones and both of them shut down by themselves all the time?

If you really have not installed security apps and they both do it if restored to factory settings and set up manually without s backup restore then yes they both have a hardware problem.

That would be so peculiar that

1. the iOS has really has a flaw or
  2. You are confused about what you have installed or
  3. you didn't reset to factory to test it

I don't believe option 1.

Aug 19, 2021 8:35 AM in response to dietrich78

Unfortunately I don't have an Apple store where I live... Has there been a recall or update that I can add to my current phone? This has now happened three separate and very inconvenient times... and, unfortunately when I try to login for Apple support, I cannot due to the two factor authentication that goes to my Iphone (which is NOT working).

Any ideas?

iPhone 12 randomly shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.