Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

some photo(JPG) missing on SD card on Mac, But can see on camera and pc

Hi

I found that some of the photo are missing on the SD card when connect it to my mac. I can't find them in Finder. But there photos can read properly on the camera and the PC. Could anyone tell me how to fix it?

all the photos are JPG. and taken by Fuji X pro 3. Only some new photos i took recently can't show up. All other photos are fine. Also I checked that these missing photo were not hidden on Windows.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 8:00 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 3, 2021 5:35 AM in response to PRP_53

All the photos are JPG.

copied and rename into the same folder-------still missing

copied into the SD Card root folder-------show up

cut and paste into the SD card other folder------show up

Create a new word doc in the same folder on pc---------missing

That's so weird. It seems like all the things create after a specific time won't show up on Mac in that folder. But on the Mac, I can put anything new into it, and it can show up on PC.

Aug 3, 2021 4:20 PM in response to PRP_53

It appears that the firmware with some cameras does some weird things with an exFAT file system (not sure if it would apply to FAT file systems or not). I only found out about this from an article talking about some improvements in the Linux exFAT driver that Samsung recently donated to the Linux kernel team.

From article:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.14-exFAT

Linux 5.14's exFAT brings improved compatibility with the exFAT file-systems from some digital cameras. In particular, when mounting an exFAT file-system from select digital cameras under Linux, in some cases not all of the files would show up under Linux.

This issue appears to be ultimately with the digital camera's firmware and not Linux in that the data length in the stream entry of the directory is not getting updated under some conditions. This meant Linux wasn't showing all of the files in a given directory when the data length wasn't being updated.

some photo(JPG) missing on SD card on Mac, But can see on camera and pc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.