Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop picture doesn't fill screen

Why is the desktop picture smaller right after I turn on my iMac? Once I log in it goes back to normal.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 7:46 AM

14 replies

Aug 2, 2021 2:13 PM in response to seadub64

You haven't mentioned the model year of your newer machine, but if you navigate to the original file that is being used, I suspect if you Get Info you will find that the resolution is less than what is now default on your newer iMac monitor. Since the graphics processors are not at full speed until you login, the basic drivers are doing the best they can with the lower res desktop image.

For grins, you might try a safe boot and see if maybe there's something that is confusing the OS.  Restart the iMac and hold the shift key down until you see the Apple logo and progress bar. It can take much longer (10 min) to safe boot so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's normal.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

Aug 2, 2021 9:20 AM in response to seadub64

Is this an image that is included with the macOS install or an image you have chosen from your own to use as a desktop image.

If it's your own, then perhaps the image is of lower resolution and therefore might be seen at its native size before you log in and the preferences setting forces it to be scaled or stretched to fit the screen. This is just a guess.

If it's an OS supplied image... I have no idea why that might be happening. 🙂

Aug 2, 2021 1:43 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

No, it's a picture that's meant to be used as a desktop image that was downloaded from a website.

I've used it for a long time, but when I purchased a new computer and transferred the image to it, after upgrading with the most recent OS (10) at that time, it never went back to it's full size when I turn on my computer. Like I said, it's only after I log in that the image goes back to filling the entire screen.

Desktop picture doesn't fill screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.