Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stopping Photos On My iMac From Uploading to iCloud

I don't want my photo's on my iMac to be uploaded to iCloud. How do i stop it?

In preferences it says under Importing: Copy items to the Photos libary, only items copies to the library will upload to icould photos.

Any help is appreciated.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 10:04 AM

That means the library you are in is not set up to be the System Photo Library. Do you have more than one library on your Mac?

That message you got meant that if you run a "referenced" library, one where you don't import the files into the library upon import they will not be available to be included in the iCloud Library if you so choose.

If you have only one library make it the System Photo Library in Photos' General preference pane:

The the library will be integrated with the rest of Apple's system and apps. Your photos will not be uploaded to the iCloud Library unless you enable the iCloud Library in that window you posted after making the library the System Photo Library.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 10:04 AM in response to Chris Winkler1

That means the library you are in is not set up to be the System Photo Library. Do you have more than one library on your Mac?

That message you got meant that if you run a "referenced" library, one where you don't import the files into the library upon import they will not be available to be included in the iCloud Library if you so choose.

If you have only one library make it the System Photo Library in Photos' General preference pane:

The the library will be integrated with the rest of Apple's system and apps. Your photos will not be uploaded to the iCloud Library unless you enable the iCloud Library in that window you posted after making the library the System Photo Library.

Aug 2, 2021 12:15 PM in response to Chris Winkler1

If you are adding photos to a library that is not the system library they will not be uploaded to iCloud.

Unfortunatly pictures in that library will not be available in any file pickers, or similar interfaces to connect photos to websites, mac settings and other apps.

As OT has said, you can make your currently library the system library, and then in the iCloud tab of settings make sure iCloud photos is turned off. You will need to sync photos from your iPhone (if you have one) another way.

Stopping Photos On My iMac From Uploading to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.