Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File sharing with windows 10 using SMB

Hi all, I have files stored on a macbook pro running Catalina which I wish to share with a Microsoft Surface tablet running Windows 10. Having followed all the instructions at the Mac end and Microsoft end I can only make the Mac visible in the Windows network view by enabling "SMB 1.0/CIFS File sharing support". A tip I got from the internet. So my question is why is it necessary to revert back to such an old protocol standard to get 2 new devices to talk to each other on a private network? Or I am missing something?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 2:25 PM

In the past, when Apple provided "server" versions of a number of OS X versions, SMB signing was the primary issue when attempting to connect to an SMB share. Apple doesn't provider these server versions for quite some time now, so there is nothing special about the settings I use on either the Mac or PC. It just works ... at least, for me.

Regardless, let's double check your settings vs. mine.

To share files, via SMB, on a Mac to other devices (Mac or PC):

• System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing (enabled)
    • Select the folder that you want to share and Users that you want to have access to it.
  • System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options > Share files and folders using SMB (enabled)
  • If enabled, disable any software firewalls or AV apps running on the Mac.
  • If the Mac and PCs are on different network subnets/VLANs, create the appropriate firewall rules to allow SMB traffic across those subnets/VLANs.

Ref:

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 2:25 PM in response to macook

In the past, when Apple provided "server" versions of a number of OS X versions, SMB signing was the primary issue when attempting to connect to an SMB share. Apple doesn't provider these server versions for quite some time now, so there is nothing special about the settings I use on either the Mac or PC. It just works ... at least, for me.

Regardless, let's double check your settings vs. mine.

To share files, via SMB, on a Mac to other devices (Mac or PC):

• System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing (enabled)
    • Select the folder that you want to share and Users that you want to have access to it.
  • System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options > Share files and folders using SMB (enabled)
  • If enabled, disable any software firewalls or AV apps running on the Mac.
  • If the Mac and PCs are on different network subnets/VLANs, create the appropriate firewall rules to allow SMB traffic across those subnets/VLANs.

Ref:

Aug 2, 2021 9:23 AM in response to macook

Interesting as Apple has provided support for SMB2 since OS X Mavericks (10.9), & SMB3 since OS X Yosemite (10.10). As you know, Windows 10 removed SMB1 support for security reasons and the only Apple devices that still uses it are the AirPort Extreme & Time Capsule base stations for file sharing. You would have to "force" using SMB1 on a Mac clients.

FWIW, I can successfully file share between my Macs and Windows 10 PCs on my local network without having to revert to using SMB1.

Ref:

Aug 5, 2021 2:37 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for that. So I followed all the instructions on both Apple and Surface side and couldn't get a connection between the devices. Then I had a Windows update and so I disabled the SMB1 compatibility option and everything now works as I expected it to! The only weirdness I now have is that on the Mac, for the WiFi connection the WINS NetBIOS name is different from the same setting under the Ethernet connection. Doesn't seem to make any difference to the ability to connect the 2 machines and for me to see and edit files on the Mac from the Surface. I've tried to edit the WiFi NetBIOS name (which is incorrect) to match the Ethernet NetBIOS name but no joy - it accepts the name change but doesn't keep it when I leave and come back into the window. I don't even know if the NetBIOS name is significant to my home network as I don't understand how it is used. Doesn't seem to make any difference....

File sharing with windows 10 using SMB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.