Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I port a number to a family member's cell-enabled watch paired using family setup to my iphone?

I'm considering getting a cell enabled Apple Watch for my dad, which would be linked with Family Setup to my iPhone (I also have a non-cell enabled series 4 Apple Watch). Wondering if it would work for a watch, say a series 4 or newer, to be his primary call device (vs. an actual phone, which he runs into trouble setting up, managing, adjusting ring volume, etc) since that's basically all he wants from a phone anyway, possibly with the exception of some fitness tracking and an occasional map.

Wish it could be linked to his iPad, which he DOES use successfully, but until that's possible, considering the potential pitfalls with linking to my iPhone,. We live across the country from each other, so I won't be around for everyday troubleshooting.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 10:09 AM

See the 'How it works' and 'What you need' sections in:

Set up an Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

One problem might be that during setup the watch needs to be close to your iPhone. Also see:

Set up a family member’s Apple Watch - Apple Support

Use Apple Watch with a cellular network - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

can I port a number to a family member's cell-enabled watch paired using family setup to my iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.