You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confused about Finder Windows, etc.

Running BigSur. I'm trying to do some disk cleanup, so I search on files in a Finder Window, such as: *.docx. I then open the first file in the list, determine if its a keeper, and close it. When I close this file, and CMD-tab to Finder, a DIFFERENT Finder window pops up, rather than my search window. I have to go to Mission Control to find the search window (along the top, in the same "Space) or select "Window" in the Finder.

In putting this question together, I also realized that if I CMD-Tab to the Finder from any other window (any open app), it often does not open any visible Finder Window...I have to go either to Mission Control or to the menu bar and select Window in the Finder menu.

I'm presuming this is an operator issue (or a Preferences issue), but I have been unable to find anything UNDERSTANDABLE that helps me solve it! HELP!

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 10:40 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 2, 2021 1:56 PM in response to Mustang66

Are you switching Spaces?

There is a preference in Mission Control System Preferences to open a Space with an open application windows, but I think that would only affect the second problem.

If I have a Finder window open in the same space as the app, then cmd-tab switches to that Finder window, not the last active one. I'm not sure there is a preference for that.

If I set Finder to be on All Desktops, then it goes to the last open window as they are all on every Desktop.

Confused about Finder Windows, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.