Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove/Uninstall Mail app from Macbook Air

Can I uninstall the Mail app from my MacBook Air? (in an effort to free up local storage drive). If I do this, will it effect the same app I use on my iPad mini4? or on my iphone Xs? Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 4:28 PM

You cannot uninstall the Mail app itself as that is part of the OS install. An app does not occupy that much space - your emails, attachments such as photos take up a lot more.

You can delete or move space hogging files such as photos, videos, etc. Remember that you need to have an absolute minimum of 10 - 15 GB of empty space on your hard drive at all times for the OS to run smoothly. If you fill it up completely, your computer will simply stop functioning. And, it will be much more difficult (or impossible) to create space on it then when you cannot boot it up.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 4:28 PM in response to TurtleBlueLu

You cannot uninstall the Mail app itself as that is part of the OS install. An app does not occupy that much space - your emails, attachments such as photos take up a lot more.

You can delete or move space hogging files such as photos, videos, etc. Remember that you need to have an absolute minimum of 10 - 15 GB of empty space on your hard drive at all times for the OS to run smoothly. If you fill it up completely, your computer will simply stop functioning. And, it will be much more difficult (or impossible) to create space on it then when you cannot boot it up.

Aug 2, 2021 5:57 PM in response to babowa

OK. Got it! Thank you so much for your response. I am thinking of reset my macbook air to original factory setting because my laptop is running out of space. I do not have that minimal 10-15GB for it to run smoothly! ;-( There is so much going on in the storage, I already deleted the bulk of my music and photos (transferred to external hard drive) and computer is still not freed up a lot of storage!

How do I delete email messages in Mail? And when I do this, would it also deleted in my other apple devices like iphone or ipad?

I suppose I need to disassociate Mail usage, disconnect my email accounts to Mail app, since I have not been using it for a long time now, after setting it up. I usually check my emails directly via website.

Remove/Uninstall Mail app from Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.