Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect monitor to macbook pro mid 2012

Hey guys,

I have a mid 2012 non-retina 15 inch Macbook Pro. I just ordered a new monitor: the Dell P2720DC.

I can connect this monitor to my Macbook with one of two adapter cables:

- usb c on the monitor to mini displayport on the Macbook

- displayport on the monitor to mini displayport on the Macbook

I don't have the cables yet, so can't test it. Which option is better, do you think?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 3:00 PM

that is a 2560 by 1440 at 60 Hz display with these inputs:

Interfaces

• DisplayPort (DisplayPort 1.2 mode)
  • HDMI
  • Audio line-out
  • USB-C
  • DisplayPort output (DisplayPort 1.2 mode)

I recommend a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, cheap because there is no conversion and no royalties for use of Intel USB-C

You COULD use an HDMI cable, BUT:

The cables you want for HDMI-only Monitors (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet"  --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard TV set, and not much more.

------

I would not suggest use af a USB-C cable, because it is pointing the wrong direction -- the USB-C end should connect to the computer.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 3:00 PM in response to steve359

that is a 2560 by 1440 at 60 Hz display with these inputs:

Interfaces

• DisplayPort (DisplayPort 1.2 mode)
  • HDMI
  • Audio line-out
  • USB-C
  • DisplayPort output (DisplayPort 1.2 mode)

I recommend a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, cheap because there is no conversion and no royalties for use of Intel USB-C

You COULD use an HDMI cable, BUT:

The cables you want for HDMI-only Monitors (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet"  --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard TV set, and not much more.

------

I would not suggest use af a USB-C cable, because it is pointing the wrong direction -- the USB-C end should connect to the computer.

connect monitor to macbook pro mid 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.