Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A second icon for photos has showed up on my mac

A second icon for photo library has shown upon my Mac.

if I put it in trash it wants to delete all photos everywhere

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 1:58 PM

7 replies

Aug 3, 2021 11:01 AM in response to gepatience

There are two icons associated with Photos.

One is for the application:

This file does not contain your photos. It's only used to access the second icon which is for the library:

This is the file that contains all of your photos. It should be located in your Home/Pictures folder. The Photos app should be located in the Home/Applicatons folder.

You do have a backup strategy enabled, i.e. Time Machine or equivalent? If not that should be your first priority.

Aug 3, 2021 11:06 AM in response to gepatience

The Photos.app needs a Photos Library to be able to run. The Photos Library contains the photos and videos you import to Photos. By default this library will be locates in your Pictures folder. If Photos cannot access your main library for some reason, it may create a new library to be able to launch at all and you will find two Photos Libraries. You can switch between multiple Photos Libraries by double-clicking the library you want to open. If you have more than one library and are not sure, if a library is redundant and can be deleted, open the libraries in turn and compare them, to check, if the additional libraries contain photos, that need saving.

A second icon for photos has showed up on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.