Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No keyboard after a restart

I bought an iMac in April and over the past month to 6 weeks the keyboard disconnects and doesn't work upon restarting my computer or turning it on after a shut down.

I want my files encrypted, eh? So why do I have to 'de-crypt' the vault every time this happens?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 2:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 2:16 PM

You don't need to get a wired keyboard. Plug the included lightning cable to your keyboard and plug it to the back of your iMac. It will treat the keyboard as a wired-keyboard, and a side-benefit is that it will re-pair the keyboard as well. No need for dealing with bluetooth problems.

Try that first. Leave your keyboard plugged in, shut the power off, power on.. make sure keyboard works while wired. Then unplug the wire and repeat the process again.

If you haven't yet tried, resetting your SMC might clear some of these hiccups.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2021 2:16 PM in response to Bryanj206

You don't need to get a wired keyboard. Plug the included lightning cable to your keyboard and plug it to the back of your iMac. It will treat the keyboard as a wired-keyboard, and a side-benefit is that it will re-pair the keyboard as well. No need for dealing with bluetooth problems.

Try that first. Leave your keyboard plugged in, shut the power off, power on.. make sure keyboard works while wired. Then unplug the wire and repeat the process again.

If you haven't yet tried, resetting your SMC might clear some of these hiccups.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Aug 3, 2021 11:49 AM in response to rccharles

I get the bluetooth keyboard to work again by following the computer's instructions.

Upon restarting, if the keyboard isn't connecting, iMac tells you to turn off the computer via the power button on the back and then push it again to start up. The screen lights up black with a menu about password reset and offers three options. The third option refers to a disconnected keyboard and turning off the encrypted FileVault to get the keyboard to reconnect.

The bluetooth keyboard ONLY disconnects upon a restart or power up (after being shut down). This has only been happening the last 6-8 weeks. I want my FileVault encrypted, eh? Why would this cause the keyboard to disconnect all of a sudden?

No keyboard after a restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.