Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APC UPS Help

I just got two APC UPS, not sure if I need to plug them into my iMac's. I do not have a the apc ups communication cable.

Can I use a USB to Ethernet Adapter instead of buying a cable from APC.

Thanks Brian

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 7:47 PM

Brian Litecky wrote:

Other then for the imac shutdown, is there a reason for the cable? Do the UPS's need a software update?

The USB connection triggers a clean shutdown when the battery approaches exhaustion.

The threshold is programmable.

This clean shutdown is generally preferable to the hard crash that arises when the power drops out.

Upper-end supplies can have firmware. Lower-end models, not so much.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2021 7:47 PM in response to Brian Litecky

Brian Litecky wrote:

Other then for the imac shutdown, is there a reason for the cable? Do the UPS's need a software update?

The USB connection triggers a clean shutdown when the battery approaches exhaustion.

The threshold is programmable.

This clean shutdown is generally preferable to the hard crash that arises when the power drops out.

Upper-end supplies can have firmware. Lower-end models, not so much.

Aug 4, 2021 8:06 AM in response to Brian Litecky

If you don’t have the APC supplied cable then you cannot connect it to your Mac. It is a proprietary cable. A replacement is available from APC.

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/UPS-Communications-Cable-Simple-Signalling-USB-to-RJ45/P-AP9827

$40. Yeah, highway robbery, I know.

As for the question about whether you need to connect the APC to your Mac the answer is your choice. The UPS will function just fine without being connected. Your Mac's built-in UPS management system allows you to monitor the performance of the UPS, set conditions to shut down your Mac when the UPS is at a certain remaining charge. For example, I have my APC 1500 set to shut down my iMac when there are 10 minutes remaining charge left.

If you are handy you could make your own cable...

https://pinoutguide.com/UPS/apc_usb_cable_pinout.shtml

Aug 4, 2021 8:19 AM in response to Brian Litecky

That’s not a less-interruptible battery model (they’re never uninterruptible) with the remote network management interface and remote management support, based on the specs. That model permits only that proprietary APC USB management cable.

That and other models will work fine without the APC cable (or without using the network interface, where applicable), but you’ll have to manually shutdown the attached devices if the power outage exceeds the battery charge.

If you didn’t get the cable in a new battery purchase, check with Schneider/APC. If that was acquired used, you’ll probably end up buying a new or used cable, if you want to use the automated shutdown mechanism.

APC UPS Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.