Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new M1 MacBook Air, Photos is already eating battery?

Hello all:

I have opened my brand new M1 MacBook Air yesterday!! (03Aug21).

I have even setup the "Photos" app. But that is the ONLY app that is eating "significant energy".

How do I get rid of this?

Please help.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 11:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 12:54 AM

I have even setup the "Photos" app. But that is the ONLY app that is eating "significant energy".

That is perfectly normal, when Photos opens a Photos Library the first time. Photos has to prepare the library, and the initial scan is requiring a significant amount of processing power. Photos is analysing each photo and video in the library and trying to understand, what the item is showing. It is recognising the objects in the scene according to thousands of categories (bird, donkey, Christmas tree, wedding cake, etc), classifying the scenes according to the events (wedding, birthday, concert). For a large library it may take a very long time to finish. each item is only scanned once, so eventually it will finish. This initial scan is essential for Photos to be able to work at all. It cannot be avoided, as it is used for searching, for the creation of memories, to compose the layout, and by Siri, if we are asking Siri to find photos for us. As Mark told you, it may take a while, until the background processes will have finished the initial setup. It depends on the size of the library, particularly the amount of videos.

if your Photos Library has been migrated from an older version of Photos, or iPhoto or Aperture, it could contain some items in a legacy format, that cannot be processed by Photo 6 on macOS 11 Big Sur. I would check all videos in your library, if they can be played and adjustments added, also check all photos, that are not JPEGs, HEIC files, TIFFs, PNGs, or in a supported RAW format, if they can be edited. Incompatible items should be removed from the library and converted to a more compatible format, as they can cause the background processes to try to process the same item over and over again.

You may also want to look for an album or folder withe "Unable to upload" in the name.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2021 12:54 AM in response to sreehemanth

That is perfectly normal, when Photos opens a Photos Library the first time. Photos has to prepare the library, and the initial scan is requiring a significant amount of processing power. Photos is analysing each photo and video in the library and trying to understand, what the item is showing. It is recognising the objects in the scene according to thousands of categories (bird, donkey, Christmas tree, wedding cake, etc), classifying the scenes according to the events (wedding, birthday, concert). For a large library it may take a very long time to finish. each item is only scanned once, so eventually it will finish. This initial scan is essential for Photos to be able to work at all. It cannot be avoided, as it is used for searching, for the creation of memories, to compose the layout, and by Siri, if we are asking Siri to find photos for us. As Mark told you, it may take a while, until the background processes will have finished the initial setup. It depends on the size of the library, particularly the amount of videos.

if your Photos Library has been migrated from an older version of Photos, or iPhoto or Aperture, it could contain some items in a legacy format, that cannot be processed by Photo 6 on macOS 11 Big Sur. I would check all videos in your library, if they can be played and adjustments added, also check all photos, that are not JPEGs, HEIC files, TIFFs, PNGs, or in a supported RAW format, if they can be edited. Incompatible items should be removed from the library and converted to a more compatible format, as they can cause the background processes to try to process the same item over and over again.

You may also want to look for an album or folder withe "Unable to upload" in the name.

Brand new M1 MacBook Air, Photos is already eating battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.