Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Caller ID (inbound call) says “anonymous” but shows a phone number

Hi All!

Thank you in advance for your help. I am stumped here.

I received two calls where the caller ID said “anonymous”, however, when I click on the call in my call log it shows me a phone number. I have no idea what this means. I have seen “blocked” and “unknown” in the past, but never “anonymous”.

Can anyone advise what kind of call this is?

I attached a screenshot of what I see. This doesn’t seem to be a telemarketer because the voicemail has someone’s name on it.

thank you!

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 11:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 5:35 PM

Hello Mvizz,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about seeing "Anonymous" incoming calls. Caller ID settings are controlled by the person calling you, and their carrier options. Take a look at the following, under "Change your outgoing call settings" for a bit more information: Make a call on iPhone

Thanks, and take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2021 5:35 PM in response to Mvizz

Hello Mvizz,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about seeing "Anonymous" incoming calls. Caller ID settings are controlled by the person calling you, and their carrier options. Take a look at the following, under "Change your outgoing call settings" for a bit more information: Make a call on iPhone

Thanks, and take care.

Aug 4, 2021 5:43 PM in response to TammyW_03

I’m sorry I still don’t understand. I know that the caller/carrier controls their caller ID settings. I am asking what kind of setting allows a call to say “anonymous” but show the phone number? Did the person simply input their name as “Anonymous” and the call isn’t actually anonymous at all. I read the article you mentioned and it doesn’t touch in this at all.

Caller ID (inbound call) says “anonymous” but shows a phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.