You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set signatures in Mail to only appear on new e-mails and not replies or forwards?

I only want my signature to automatically appear on new emails, not replies or forwards. Is this possible? How?

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 8:07 AM

9 replies

Aug 5, 2021 8:58 AM in response to jdo_apple

Here is a direct quote from your article:

"Automatically add a signature to emails

You can choose a signature to automatically add to messages you send.

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, choose Mail > Preferences, then click Signatures.
  2. Select an account in the left column.
  3. Click the Choose Signature pop-up menu, then choose a signature.
  4. If you have more than one signature for an account, Mail can automatically alternate between them—choose At Random or In Sequential Order from the pop-up menu.

If you want to stop having a signature automatically added to your messages, click the Choose Signature pop-up menu, then choose None."

How does this help me? I want a signature on NEW e-mails, I do NOT want a signature on forwards and replies. This is a pretty basic feature most e-mail programs have, does macOS Mail not have it?

Aug 5, 2021 6:48 AM in response to brsm1990

Hello brsm1990,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support communities. We understand that you are wanting to use your email signature for new mail sent only, and not on relies or a forwarded message. We would love to provide you support on this. 

This resource tells you how to use signatures and its settings and also includes a table of contents link at the top left: Create and use email signatures in Mail on Mac

Thank you for allowing us to support you.

Have an awesome and productive day!

Aug 5, 2021 8:28 AM in response to chris_g1

Perhaps I'm missing it but this doesn't answer the question at all. The only place reply or forward is mentioned at all is in the sentence quoted below. I don't want signatures on replies or forwards at all this only tells me how to place above or below quoted text. I don't want it at all. Can I disable this?

Create and use email signatures in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

"If you want your signature to appear after the original text of messages you reply to or forward, deselect the “Place signature above quoted text” checkbox."

Aug 5, 2021 9:09 AM in response to brsm1990

brsm1990 wrote:

How does this help me? I want a signature on NEW e-mails, I do NOT want a signature on forwards and replies. This is a pretty basic feature most e-mail programs have, does macOS Mail not have it?

It tells you what it is possible to do. If there are additional features you would like to see in an Apple product, you can let Apple know here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Meanwhile, there are other email clients available for macOS. You might want to take a look at them and see if any of them better meet your needs.

Aug 5, 2021 8:49 AM in response to brsm1990

brim1990,

Thank you for getting back to us. In the above mentioned article it tells you explains the steps to turn to the signature option off in the section titled "Automatically add a signature to emails". At the bottom of that section you will find support needed to turn off automatic signatures.

Then the very next section tells you how to use a signature while sending an email instead of having it auto attached.

Cheers!

Can I set signatures in Mail to only appear on new e-mails and not replies or forwards?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.