Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to receive SMS from the data sim in iPad Pro?

I have an iPad pro having a data SIM. I want to be able to receive SMS messages that are sent to that data SIM.

Currently I can only receive messages sent to my iPhone which is using the same Apple ID and has a different SIM with a different number.

My main problem is that my mobile carrier would send important SMS messages to the number belonging to the data SIM in my iPad (like password reset code, remaining quota, notification about data package renewal, etc). I am unable to read those messages unless I remove the SIM card from the iPad and put it in a phone and even then I can only read the messages received while the SIM is placed in the phone, so the older messages are lost forever.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 2:20 AM

If you have added a DataSIM and Cellular plan to a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, the number associated with the SIM card is only used to identify your account for billing purposes. This number is not used for making calls or sending messages.

An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or Messaging features. An iPad with Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services. An iPad is not, and can never be, a standalone substitute for an iPhone. 

However, If paired with an iPhone, the capabilities of iPad significantly broaden to include access to Cellular Voice and Messaging services of the associated iPhone.

More information about Continuity and the relevant Cellular services can be found here:

Continuity

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple Watch – Apple Support

SMS/MMS Messaging

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

WiFi Calling

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling – Apple Support

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, to send SMS/MMS messages from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your [new] iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

I hope this information and clarification is helpful in clarifying the capabilities of both your iPad and iPhone.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2021 2:20 AM in response to jigarughreja

If you have added a DataSIM and Cellular plan to a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, the number associated with the SIM card is only used to identify your account for billing purposes. This number is not used for making calls or sending messages.

An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or Messaging features. An iPad with Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services. An iPad is not, and can never be, a standalone substitute for an iPhone. 

However, If paired with an iPhone, the capabilities of iPad significantly broaden to include access to Cellular Voice and Messaging services of the associated iPhone.

More information about Continuity and the relevant Cellular services can be found here:

Continuity

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple Watch – Apple Support

SMS/MMS Messaging

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

WiFi Calling

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling – Apple Support

If you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, to send SMS/MMS messages from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your [new] iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

I hope this information and clarification is helpful in clarifying the capabilities of both your iPad and iPhone.

Aug 5, 2021 3:49 AM in response to jigarughreja

A cellular SIM for a suitably enabled iPad enables you to use it to browse websites and check your emails. If you don't need to do this you can use a wi-fi only iPad to do this at home or in hotspots away from home. As indicated above the cellular service is data only, and that doesn't include voice or SMS which have to be sent to a specific phone number.

Aug 5, 2021 4:00 AM in response to jigarughreja

I paid 95000 rupees for iPad Pro which is one of the most expensive iPad ever. Consumer are paying this much huge amount not only for opening website and check emails or to have big screen. Apple has to do improvements in there iPadOS system. It’s apple and its apple community to see where his consumer are facing problem and issue try to solve that problem via updating there system. Thank you

Aug 5, 2021 4:13 AM in response to jigarughreja

The issue isn’t iPadOS at all. The iPad is not designed to be a Cellular ‘phone; it cannot directly access Cellular Voice or SMS Messaging services.

As already outlined, an iPad of any model is not a substitute for a cellular phone - and in most cases, a cellphone SIM will not even work in an iPad.

If you have an iPhone, your iPad can access Cellular Voice and SMS Messaging services of the iPhone.

Aug 5, 2021 4:33 AM in response to LotusPilot

My point is if iPadOS don’t support cellular voice and sms messaging service then whats the point in making iPad with cellular service if apple cannot provide service to his customer. Infact this was the big blunder that happen with me i paid extra 10000 to 15000 rupees for cellular and I came to know about it after I purchased. At the time of purchase no apple dealers inform about this to any of his consumer otherwise I have purchased some better android iPad with all service.

Aug 5, 2021 4:46 AM in response to jigarughreja

The point of a Cellular model iPad is twofold:

1) You can access cellular data services (not legacy Voice or SMS/MMS) in addition to fixed or hotspot WiFi.

2) Addition of GPS/GNSS Global Positioning capability (this feature being one element of the Cellular chipset).

Your frustration is understood. It is indeed unfortunate that your retailer lacked sufficient knowledge to bring the functional capabilities of iPad adequately to your attention (assuming that you asked) - or, perhaps, inadequate research was made by you prior to making an expensive purchase.

With the exception of the Site Moderators, contributors here are all end-users - just like you. We cannot help you to do something that the iPad hasn’t capability. We can, however, guide you to what can be done.

How to receive SMS from the data sim in iPad Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.