Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidently G5 upgraded to 10.5.8

How can I downgrade the OS, back to Panther 10.3

I have 3 original discs in a black box from Apple (Mac OS X Panther Version 10.3 Install Disc 1, 2 and 3) but till now without succes.

The G5 wasn't new, I have no further discs.

The G5 is a Dual 2.0 Ghz

Thanks for the help of this community !

JL

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 7:24 AM

10 replies

Aug 5, 2021 7:57 AM in response to JLvanCSS

Hello, JLvanCSS.

The gray-label reinstall discs are machine specific and will say what Mac they are for; iMac, Power Mac, Mac mini.

The reinstall process should be as easy as inserting the disc in the drive, label facing you, and then rebooting.

When rebooting, immediately press and hold the C key. Then follow the on screen prompts.

Does the Mac show the disk on the desktop when you insert it?

IIRC, some reinstalls begin by clicking the disk and launching the installer inside, then following the prompts. (It's been a long time! 🙂)

Aug 5, 2021 8:26 AM in response to JLvanCSS

You can't install an older system over a later system: you will have to erase the disk first. Alternatives are to install on an eternal disk, or you might be able to partition the disk and install Panther on that - then you'd be able to boot into either: obviously you'd need enough space to do this.

Otherwise you'll need to back up all your data on an external disk before erasing the internal disk and installing Panther.

Following from D.I.Johnson's post above, I assumed you originally had Panther running on your Mac? If you didn't, then it may be the case that your Mac can't run it anyway. You can't intall a system on a Mac older than the one it shipped with.

May I ask, why Panther? It's ancient and isn't going to work at all well in the modern environment. Web browing will be nearly impossible. Mind you, even 10.5 is going to be pretty limited.

Accidently G5 upgraded to 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.